close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

boat stuff over the net? other than cabelas or bass pro

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by dip, Jul 25, 2004.

1. dip

dip dip

looking for options to the "big two" to do some internet shopping for boat hardware. any tips appreciated.

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

3. dip

dip dip

thanx shake! got just what i "need"!

4. West has 7 Ohio locations. You can do a search on the website to see where one is closest to you.

I need the elbow for one of my trailer guides. The ones on the boat are made of PVC and I'd like to change them to metal ones. More sturdy.

Any idea where I could get just the elbows without buying new guides?

5. ShakeDown

Right on! Thought maybe they just had one in Mentor, the other down here.

6. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

I have found them to be fairly expensive, at least 10% more in most cases. I have had success on the web by searching for the exact item I am looking for. As an example, I needed to replace the steering system on my new boat. After searching for all the options, and realizing that I wasn't willing to spend $500 on a hydraulic system, I opted for a teleflex system. West Marine and Overton's were both $200 or more. Cabela's didn't offer the one I wanted, nor did Bass Pro. I finally got a tip from another web member about a surplus place in Florida. Same kit, brand new in the box, shipped to my door, $156.50. That's a big savings over the big guys.

I have found that by searching for the exact thing, I can find lots of different pricing. Just bought new scuppers for my boat and found them on a small website from New Jersey. Normally $12.95 everywhere, I found them on sale at this place for $7.99 and they offered free shipping on my first order! That isn't a ton of cash, but I'll take ten bucks.

UFM82

7. ShakeDown

The nice thing about West Marine is, they have all the small hard to find stuff, that you won't find in Cabs/BPS. They are marine/boating first and foremost, fishing/watersports second. If you ever walk into one of their retail stores, those guys KNOW THEIR STUFF. More so than any other marine/boat accessory retailer that I've ever dealt with.

8. ShakeDown

Iboats is awesome for lower units/powerheads etc...I got a LU from them on my last boat, and my mechanic (works for a major central ohio dealer) said it was the nicest LU he'd seen...got a great price on it too.