close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boat stereo installation??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ParmaBass, Oct 29, 2004.

1. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

I just bought a stereo to put on my boat and I'm having some problems with the install. It seems easy enough, but??? I've done cars before and never had a problem is there a difference when doing a boat install? There only seems to be three wires that need connected there's a red wire that says (Accessory, connect to existing ignition circuit or switched 12 volt source.) a yellow wire that says (Connect to battery circuit or constant 12 volt source.) and a black wire that is the ground. I tried all different kind of combinations and can't get any power. Tried multiple grounding locations too. Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

connect the red and yellow directly to the battery + side, and the black to -... if it works, then possibly your switch source isnt working. you can twist the yellow and red wires together and hook them to the same power source. you just have to remember to turn the unit off, instead of it going off with the key...

also check fuses... had that bite me in the rear a few times :D

sowbelly

3. ParmaBass

That did it.... you're the man. Thanks
    I knew someone on OGF would help get me through this.

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

just a word, if it is aluminum like mine you will have to completely insulate the radio from the aluminum itself.

5. katfishmcgraw

katfishmcgraw aficianado

"if it is aluminum like mine you will have to completely insulate the radio from the aluminum itself."

I was figuring on building a wooden box to keep it dry anyhow... Would that work? :confused:

6. ParmaBass

My boat is aluminum and I bought a waterproof plastic shell that the radio itself goes in. It cost me 19.99 through BPS. Sounds pretty good so far.

7. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

wood will work to insulate it.

8. katfishmcgraw

katfishmcgraw aficianado

gotta have something to do this winter :)