close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boat seats and srorage problems

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Stampede, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

During the summer,i regurally cover my boat up.The problem i get is some mildew spots on the seats.Does anyone else have this problem and how do you det the mildew off without hurting the seats.I've tried vinyl cleaner with no results.Any ideas?

2. Have some vents sewn into your cover at the high points. You can also open the stern canvas and the heat from the sun will dry it out. Cleaning? Can't help you there.

3. "J"

"J"

Don't know your situation but if you can put a fan inside the boat and let it blow in there ater a heavy rain or a heavy dew it will help, also simple green will get the mildew stains out. "J"

4. I think Shortdrift is right on with preventing the mildew. My cover does not fit tightly at the stern and when the boat sets out and gets some good sun the heat and moisture exits through the stern area. When I have my boat in the garage I usually take my cover off to allow for better circualtion to dry it out. I have not had any mildew problems at all.

5. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Moved to boats and motors

6. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

On a daily basis i don't use my boat cover.I use one of those big blue tarps.It covers the boat,keeping the rain,leaves etc. out.It also is open where it covers the motor and where it goes over the trollin motor,but i still have some mildew on the seats.I'm afraid to try mildew cleaner (it has bleach) or weak bleach,worried it will fade or dry the leather out.Was wondering what others used before i started on it.Got the seats it the garage for winter.Thanks for the tips.

7. I've used a 50/50 mix of bleach and water to clean mildew off seats and other rubber and plastic parts on my boat with out any damage.

Barry