Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope all on the boat that sank saturday are doing O.K...My heart droped when I herd the mayday call go out that there boat was going down and they was in the water.Any info on how they are doing let everyone know.:(
Thanks,FastEddie

·
Where's Waldo?
1,131 Posts
We talked with the watercraft officer at Turtle Creek this morning while he was inspecting the boat. He said they were all OK. They believe the boat took on water because of a loose or otherwise improperly installed bilge plug. It never totally sank and was pulled out by a tow boat. The boat had been in the water in the dock for several days without a problem but they speculate that the plug came out with the stress of handling those 4 footers on the way out yesterday. This is all second hand but that's what he said.

MC

·
Registered
219 Posts
i cant beleive it. that is my worst nightmare, the plug. i even keep a spair on my key ring. every sping my nights are filled with the dread of forgeting to put the plug in my boat. i hope they are all ok. my heart goes out to them.

·
Registered
965 Posts
We were in view of the boat that sank but could'nt pinpoint it until it was upside down. Makes you think real hard about where you keep all your safety equiptment and how long it will take to access it. I'll def. do some rearranging before the next trip out!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
We talked with the watercraft officer at Turtle Creek this morning while he was inspecting the boat. He said they were all OK. They believe the boat took on water because of a loose or otherwise improperly installed bilge plug. It never totally sank and was pulled out by a tow boat. The boat had been in the water in the dock for several days without a problem but they speculate that the plug came out with the stress of handling those 4 footers on the way out yesterday. This is all second hand but that's what he said.

MC
The boat didn't need to sink. I, with the help of my friend Joe pulled two of the three out of the water. From the time I heard the mayday call and realized it was them was only a minute I would guess. We yanked everything in and flew I'd guess half a mile or so to the scene. When we pulled up she was capsized stern down, just a foot or so of the bow exposed. Everything floatable was floating, including the three people on board. None of which had life vests on. We got one gentleman, and his daughter. I'd guess 65 and 35 years old. Another boat got the third, also a man about mid 60's. I don't know exactly how long they were in, but the older guy was exhausted and seemed almost in shock.

The boat may not have sunk, but it wasn't doing them any good. I watched it just like in the movies, going down by the stern and teeter right over on her top. Wasn't close enough to see the people on board and how they got out. Also turns out the guy we got in had a fake leg. Really hit me as I was cracking waves trying to get them in in a hurry. They were froze. We also had three out of our four kids with us. Quite a fishing trip for them. Scarry

Be safe everyone.
Dave/tenrds

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Glad to hear they all made it out safely. On way back to Turtle Creek, I saw that upside down boat and sped over there with a sick feeling. Strange thing is that we circled real close and saw no motor on the back. Maybe we didn't look close enough.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Does anyone know what kind, and size of boat it was. I went out of Wild Wings Saturday but heard nothing of a sinking. I know I saw several boats out there Sunday morning I would not have felt safe in.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
It was fiberglass, looked like a trihaul, about 16'-18' long...

I was tossed around in my 16' aluminum deep v Starcraft, but took on no water in the morning when it was chopped and the walleye were busy.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
thats is scary... i do hope they are alright.... and good point Gotone.... we should all make sure our safety gear is in check and reafy to use... no matter what kind of rig every one has...

FRank

·
Registered
43 Posts
My friend at work saw the boat get towed into Meinke's by south shore towing saturday afternoon. He said about 18' tri hull with about a 70 hp outboard. From where he was at he could see it for about an hour tied to the dock looking like it was not taking on water. They came back a short time later and towed it to the ramp. I would guess the owners came and picked it up.

I have no idea why it went down, but I know it happened real quick. I don't think it took 3 minutes from the time they called mayday to the time I saw in go vertical then roll over.

Never expect to see something like that in your life. Bone chilling still as I think about it.

Dave/tenrds

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was out with Tenrds on Saturday the 28th and we went speeding up on the submerged boat and hauled in two of the three boaters floating without PFDs on. After it was all said and done I really started thinking about what if that had been me or one of my kids out in the 50 degree water. Thats when I thought about reviewing the statistics on hypothermia.
Check them out and educate your kids on what you should and should not do.

http://ohiodnr.com/watercraft/safetips/hypo.htm

If these folks did not have a radio and could not have called out "mayday" it probably would have been much worse for them.

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
If these folks did not have a radio and could not have called out "mayday" it probably would have been much worse for them.
My buddy Jim and I were discussing that on Saturday. Some fellas he works with feel a cell phone is adequate. In this case, a cell phone would have been useless.

Marine radio is THE only way to go. We heard his mayday all the way over near the bay.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glade To Here They Got Out Of The Water Quickly,hope They Are Doing Good.......everybody Please Be Safe Out There....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts