close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boat re-wire

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by TClark, Jun 7, 2017.

1. I'll be using 8ga wire from the battery into a buss fuse box.
    I'll have the trolling motor...should I use a circuit breaker for that or what size fuse?

running lights, fish finder and bilge pump. (<<<<<using 14ga wire)

what size fuse to use for each?? I have a pk of 10's and a pk of 15's

I know squat about amps n such. My boat is 12' long and the battery will be in the front and trolling motor in the back.

Thanks in advance!!

2. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

What is the max draw of your trolling motor? Use a breaker higher than that rating obviously. I like to go 10 amps above max draw. Lights, finder, etc are all 10s on my boat while horn, bilge pumps, raw water washdown all run 15.

TClark likes this.

3. It's a 30 # thrust, so 30 - 40 amps?

4. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

I think Bass Pro has a 50 amp breaker that is specifically for trolling motors- that's what i used on my 12V PowerDrive and it was 55#. I wouldn't think you'd have any issues with the 30# unit.

5. Bad Bub

Bad Bub Pushin' Tin

Wal-Mart even sells a breaker for the trolling motor and it only costs a few bucks. (50a) buy two and throw one in a storage compartment. Otherwise, MinnKota probably makes the most widely used trolling motor breaker. If you want "name brand" with reputation to uphold, I'd spend the extra money on that one.

6. I would suggest that you check online with the manufacturer of the trolling motor - they will be able to tell you the proper amps for your fuse - I just wired up my Garmin Echomap 73sv chartplotter an found that the warranty would be voided if I used anything higher than the 3amp inline fuse they supply with the unit. I have a Lund Rebel, and the factory wired my boat with 5amp fuses for the bilge pump, aerator, navigation lights, and and accessory outlet. Also, if you do anything in salt water, I'd make sure the buss fuse box you are installing is rated for marine applications. My experience tells me you should be using a lead wire from the battery to your fuse box that is #1 or #4 AGW, but I'm no electrician :)

7. Lead wires will be 8ga tinned marine wire. My Lowrance came with a 15amp fuse...though I'm thinking 5 amp may be a good idea.

Thanks!!

8. Scum_Frog

Scum_Frog Set The Hook`

I cant think of exact name on here but pretty sure its percfection or something and hes a genius and rewiring boats....does awesome work im sure he can answer your questions.

TClark likes this.