Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a formula to figure the weight & HP rating for a boat? The reason I ask is because I have an old (1950s?) 12' flat bottom, aluminum boat (Seaking). The boat does not have a rating plate on the inside, so I'm trying to figure the boats' weight capacity & max HP rating.

Or, what are the specs on similar type boats that others own?

I'm also in the market for a new 9.9 (which I intend to put on the boat). I'm looking for any recommendations/tips in regard to brands (the good & bad)

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have two 12' alluminum boats 1 is a shallow v and is rated at 551lbs max. 7.5hp. and other is 624lbs max and 20hp.
hope this will help. good luck.

·
Scourge of Hoover
1,869 Posts
Anything between 5hp and 10hp should be plenty for any 12' boat. Remember to include the weight of the motor, full gas tank, battery and gear when calculating how much you can safely load. A 12' boat is really meant for no more than 2 people and a reasonable amount of gear.

As for motors, you didn't mention a price range. I'm assuming you're looking at used? Stick with common used motors that you can easily find parts for; Mercury, Johnson, Evinrude, Honda, Nissan, Tohatsu etc. are all good names to look for and there are others. However, More importantly than name is condition.

I would be leary of buying a used small motor without seeing it run unless you really know whom you are buying it from. When they start it, does it start easily, or are they pulling their guts out or tinkering with it to make it run? If for some reason you can't see it run, do a compression check on the cylinder(s) - a compression gauge should read at least 100 lbs per cylinder. Any less, and it will likely need a rebuild. Pull the starter cord and make sure it turns over freely and that you can feel the compression of the motor as you pull. Also, inspect the lower unit oil for signs of water or contamination. Any milky looking fluid will tell that there is a leaking seal or worse. Ask the owner when the water pump impeller was last changed. A worn impeller will prevent adequate cooling and cause the motor to overheat and possibly seize. I would always suggest replacing it regardless on any used motor for peace of mind. Lastly, buy a manual off ebay or elsewhere. Learn how to work on your motor and maintain it properly and it will last you for many seasons. :D

G

·
I would stay away form the briggs if you go new. I have hear nothing good bout them. I have all mercury never had a probablem with them. I had a few johnson did not care for them much. They were hard to work on but you could find the manual online you did not have to buy a manual. Just my two cents worth. Only my views.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts