Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what you can do if someone gives you a boat and it doesnt have a title? Is it possible to get one the same way you would a car or are you pretty much SOL? I read the ODNR website but it wasnt real clear about the process if any (btw it had a number to call for that situation but i despise talking to government clerks most of the time...) So i figured maybe someone here went throught the process or knew someone.

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can get one and it is a pain in the rear. Start by contacting a division of watercraft office, there is one at alum creek. Take the ID number on the boat (OH 5555 FB) with you but be prepared for several trips there and to your local title office. They will give you conflicting info and make you run back and forth. I had much better luck just going to the office than calling. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
If the boat is less than 14 feet it dosnt require a title. At 14 feet and over, it dose. I purchased a boat last year that I thought was under 14'. Guess I should have measured. It was not quite an inch over but it required a title.

Basically you need to take the registration number to the Div of Watercraft and have a title search done. You then need to mail a letter to the person whos info they give you. Be sure to send it certified, its the only way you have proof. If they contact you back, then you just have them go file for a lost title and sign it over to you. If you dont get any reply, you take all your info including your certified letter slip and go back to the Div of Watercraft. I cant tell you what happens beyond that point because the former owner worked with me to get the title. I can tell you that everytime I spoke with Div of Watercraft, they were very nice and very helpful.

Its a pain to have to deal with but it can be done.

P.S. If the boat has a motor thats 10hp or over, it also requires a title. Be sure to send a letter for it as well. Also, I'm not familiar with the Alum Creek office. Everytime, I had to go they made me go to the Morse Rd location.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts