Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185 Special Edition 18 1/2 ft. w/ 75 hp. merc outboard, power trim, jackplate, console steering. This is my first boat and I just bought it. No bent skeg, prop looks to be in good shape. With steering wheel at 12 o'clock (straight) and boat on trailer, the motor looks to be perfectly straight too. When accelerating to get on plane, boat pulls left and I must turn steering to the right to one or two o'clock to keep boat straight. Boat is supposed to get up to 35-38 with two 275 lb men. I am 185 and it only gets up to about 30. I suspect it may be partly because of wasted energy and friction from this problem?

Sellers had it in the shop for minor repairs last fall that had nothing to do with this issue (new aerator, etc.). They swear they did not have this problem. The boat is generally in great shape and has been well maintained.

It is actually a bit frightening to me. I feel like the boat might turn over and will definitely not react well if I have to turn suddenly in either direction.

Any ideas?

Also, I am in Akron. Any trustworthy boat repair shops you all recommend that will not sink my bank account?

Thanks!

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you want to take it to a shop, I've heard pretty good things about Norton Marine. Personally, I take repair work that is beyond my capabilities to Maston's Marine in Massillon but that might be a drive for you depending on where you are in Akron.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have a Merc 90 hp, and when it was new I had to adjust the little
fin just above the prop. There is a hex head bolt that you need to
loosen and I believe turn the fin in the opposite direction in which
your boat is pulling. This should cure your problem and track straight
and true with out fighting the wheel. If you have the Merc manual
it should be in there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys! Can't put her in the water to test this weekend but I did visually inspect the torque tab. It is currently turned about 5 degrees from center. I will center and test and make adjustments from there. Thanks again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Make sure you have it trimmed properly.

At different speeds there will be a different sweet spot - but it should be neutral somewhere.

The adjustment makes some difference, but for me it's minor.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
With cable steering you will have "torque-steer" occuring at various levels, depending on the attitude of the boat (trim and speed). Before adjusting the torque tab, I'd check to see if the torque-steer continues when the boat is planed with the motor trimmed to the optimal setting (trimmed up to create the max bow lift without porpoising, while keeping your prop "hooked-up" and in the speed range you would cruise most often. It may be something you have to live with during hole-shot so that at optimum throttle/trim you aren't constantly fighting it.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts