close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boat periodic maintenance

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Shortdrift, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Having previously owned five other boats I learned a fair amount regarding what hidden things can go wrong. :(
    When I received my latest boat, a Lund Explorer, I took the time to check that all the screws were tight and wires were securly supported and connections tight. That was a year ago and experience has taught me to recheck again. Sure enough, about 70% of the screws had loosened a bit but all the wiring was fine. Battery connections were OK as I had corrosion inhibited them when I received the boat. All the fuse holders were clean and the throttle/ shift system lube looked good. Bilge and live well pumps mounting are secure and lights worked. :D
    Just something I do to avoid those delays, on the water repairs, or even worse, cancelled trips due to lack of maintenance.
    SUGGEST YOU GIVE THIS SOME THOUGHT AND TAKE THE HOURS TIME TO CHECK OUT YOUR BOAT. :)

2. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Nows a good time to check out the trailer too. Take a minute at the dock while your boat is off the trailer and check the bunkboards to make sure they are secure. Look at the inside of the wheels for a seal failure (excess grease on the rims). Shake the trailer from side to side to make sure a bearing isn,t going south. I do that often. Make sure the wiring is not hanging down where it can get snagged. Heres a nice trick I do. There is a product called Bio-T that can be purchased at your local ATV dealer that you can spray on your trailer. Just hose it off with a garden hose and it comes out nice and clean and has a shine to it. I know I hate the periodic trailer washing and waxing and crawling on the ground. BIO-T is biodegradeable so you can just hose it off anywhere. Raider<><>

3. HEY RAIDER! Thanks for adding the info on the trailer. I never thought about those checks as it is something I routinely do when I put the boat in.
    I ALSO CARRY A COMPLETE TRAILER SPARE HUB ASSEMBLY IN MY TRUCK. :cool:
    Hope these suggestions help out some of the members. :)