Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Eat Em Up Charters
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if people had any use with the Super Tech Oil for boats? I currently use Penzoil, but the super tech is only $10 a gallon so about $6 cheaper than Penzoil, if they perform the same then I am all for it, but if there is a difference I will just stick with the Penzoil.

For those that dont know Super Tech is the walmart brand.

·
Administrator
9,500 Posts
It all has to meet spec. I have not heard of any problems with the Super Tech oil. WALMART isn't a refiner, so the oil comes from one of the others anyway.

·
useless poster
8,806 Posts
i used the penzoil from walmart and they do not carry it anymore ,atleast i can't find it here in cleveland. where is it for sale @ $16.00? any auto parts stores sell it?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I am almost certain that I bought two 5 qt jugs of penzoil from Walmart (Macedonia), in the last two weeks for $11.50 each. (I think reg price was 12.50 - 12.99) One was 5w30 and the other 5w20. I am certain it was Penzoil. The almost certain was on the price. I used it on the car and van.
Either Advanced Auto Parts or Auto Zone has a special going on, 5 Qts of oil and a filter for something like $14.50. They offer a wide range of filters some priced near $10. The oil is Castrol for this offer. I use Castrol 30w for my water machine.
Good day to do oil change(s)

·
Eat Em Up Charters
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i used the penzoil from walmart and they do not carry it anymore ,atleast i can't find it here in cleveland. where is it for sale @ $16.00? any auto parts stores sell it?
A couple of the walmarts down here no longer carry the Penzoil, just the Super tech. I bought 2 gallons of the penzoil for $10 each at a walmart that was getting rid of it. The other walmart I go to carries it still and the regular price is $15.99 each, I am hoping they go on sale. Super Tech is $10.99 a gallon.

I figured they had to meet requirements. I will keep getting Penzoil if they keep lowering it to $11, and then I will switch to the Super tech.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I tried Supertech several yrs ago and thought my engine ran very poorly with it. (40Johnson) Improved when I used Pennzoil.....now Wally doesnt carry Pennzoil any more.

Amazingly, I did find Pennzoil in quarts at Target. Only buy Pennzoil or better now.

Supertech was junk in my engine but your experience may be better.

·
useless poster
8,806 Posts
walmart most likely dumped penzoil due to the price increase. we should try to have it braught back to walmart. $16.00 a gallon is still cheap in my opinion. gander mtn wants $32.OO A GAL FOR EVINRUDE OIL XD 30 OR XD 50 . can't remember.

·
I am what I eat.
1,622 Posts
IMO, the OMC xd30 or better is worth it. It seems to burn cleaner than the Pennzoil In my Evinrude 100hp. I get less smoke and way less smell. It seems to me that I'd be getting less carbon build up also.

·
Sean
604 Posts
I also have to use the OMC/Evinrude XD30 for my Rude. I agree with I Fish, My rude is a 91 and the only oil I'll run in it is the XD30. True it is more expensive but it meets all the specs for my older engine and Knock on wood I've yet to foul a plug or have any issues with this oil. I would definetely check with manufacture's specs or your Mechanic before switching up oils.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,379 Posts
I was buying the expensive Yamalube for 36.00 a gallon. Gander MT had Citgo 2 cycle that meet the same standards as the Citgo for 12.00 on sale. I see no difference at all in my motors performance. Yamaha and all the other manufactures do not refine oil. They buy it form the major oil companies and label it with their name on itm and charge triple for what it's worth.

·
useless poster
8,806 Posts
west marine has their tcw3 on sale for $12.99 a gallon. i am using it in my rude now. baught some last month when it was on sale.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts