close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boat Insurance

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by reel, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Would appreciate a few comments on experiences pertaining to insurance on your boat.

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I have State Farm too, and they are I'm extremely happy with them.

On my old boat, I tore up the lower unit/prop. About $2800 between the two. Called my agent, and they let me do something out of the norm...I found the LU online at iboats, and had a private mechanic do the work...got estimates from both, had a check in my hand in 24 hours, no questions asked. They didn't even need to see the damage. My rate never went up afterwards either.

3. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I have State Farm for all my insurance needs. About 4 or 5 years ago I had the tackle stolen out of my boat at the Portage Lakes Ramp. My agent said make a list of what was missing. I gave it to him and no questions asked he cut me a check on the spot.

Another situation a 16 year old girl hit the back of my boat and totaled it about 3 years ago. She had State Farm also. They fought with me on a settlement until they found out I was a State Farm customer. Once they found that out I had a check for $200 more than I wanted the same day.

4. Here's another question I've been meaning to call my insurance company and ask, but never got around to it. Does you boat insurace cover damages when you are towing your boat and damage someone elses property? Say you change lanes and don't see someone and bump their car, is that your car insurace or boat insurance?

Barry

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I believe that would be auto, as the boat (or any trailer) is considered an extension of the vehicle pulling it.

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i have safeco and it comes with $500.00 worth of towing on the water. you need that on lake erie.

7. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

The trailer is an extension of the vehicle and covered by the vehicle insurance while in tow. Anything on the trailer is not covered by the car insurance, but by either home owners, renters, or boat insurance depending on what it is.

8. Am going to refloat this thread.

I would really like to hear more comments on, such as:

Does everyone carry liability insurance in case someone is injured while boating.

Do you get the ODNR sticker of inspection ?

Have you been required to get a marine surveyor for older boat quotes.

thanks for comments so far.

9. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Im not sure but when my boat was totaled by a kid a year and a half ago he had State Farm and they gave me every penny that I had asked. It did take a little fighting with them at first but by the end of it I was very pleased with the results. I hear Progressive boat insurance is pretty good too.

10. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I have $300,000 liability because B.A.S.S. demands it to fish there affiliated tournys.
    I get the sticker every year. A ranger told me as long as they can see a PFD and they sticker they will never mess with you unless you are doing something wrong.

11. Any rough idea what insurance costs? I know boat value is determining factor. I'm just looking for wide ballpark figures, don't want to pry into anybody's business.

Thanks,

Jeff

12. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

check with your home owners policy. Mine runs me less than a$100.00 per year and has $300,00 basic and a $1,000,000 rider included Total coverage

13. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Mine is also less than $100 a year.

14. freyedknot

yes , you do need personal injury coverage. just in case someone gets hurt even getting on the boat or by capsizing , hitting a sand bar at high speed,etc. etc. i pah $80.00 a year w/ $500.00 towing on the water. and $8,ooo.oo to cover the my boat damage

15. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Freyedknot,
    I too have unlimited on water towing in my policy for an additional $10 per year (up to $600 per occurance). However, I would have to pay for the tow at the time the service is performed. I'd then submit the claim to my insurance company for reinbursement. That can be a really big hit if you're not prepared for it, which most aren't since no one knows when those kind of things will happen. So, for about $120 per year I have a separate insurance policy strickly for on water towing and some trailing emergencies.
    The benefit is that you don't have to pay any fee at the time of service unless they are delivering you fuel or specific parts to get you going again. The coverage in my base policy is a good safeguard for inland lakes and rivers whereas the towing policy is more for the great lakes. I just wanted to point this out to you since most on water tow services expect to be paid when service is rendered.
    As far as liability goes, no reputable agent/company would write a policy without it. A minimum of $100k is usually sufficient.

16. freyedknot

cleveland marine towing is $55.00 per year for unlimited towing on lake erie. you are right w? the boat policy you have to pay for the tow then get reimbursed, so i would pay w/plastic if i needed a tow and just get reimbursed.

17. Have just read through my liability policy.

I am covered for Bodily Injury, Property Damage, Medical Payments, Uninsured and underinsured boaters.

But I am not sure about coverage for "Fuel Spill". Will check with my agent but was wondering if any of you have this as a separate item ?

18. I Had Boat U.s. ..i Now Have Progressive..its Cheaper With More Coverage

19. Since my boat is a POS that floats my insurance company (Allstate) said not to worry about boaters insurance. My agent told me that anything that I could possibly do with the boat would be covered by my auto insurance. It might not replace my boat but it will cover me if something were to happen.

20. I have house, 2 vehicles, umbrella and now boat with Nationwide.
    They told me I would not be covered for liability without special boaters insurance.
    Still not sure about "Fuel Spill"