Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to purchase a propane heater for my boat and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what kind to get..........any comments would be appreciated.......thanks

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
propane heater??? i would not think would be good, any open flame could be deadly if tipped over and a flame starts just my thought i often wondered about a buddy heater but the risk is to much with gas fumes and other issues . i have seen cabin heaters like on your car. i just bought a mustang suit that will keep you warm in any weather even if you get wet like a rain storm

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I think its called Buddy Heater. They are great Propane Heaters! They shut off everytime they are bumped or when they fall. Very safe. And they'll keep your boat warm especially if you have a bemini(top for boat). We use them when we troll Walleye on Erie in the fall and we use them when we're Musky fishing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
propane heater??? i would not think would be good, any open flame could be deadly if tipped over and a flame starts just my thought i often wondered about a buddy heater but the risk is to much with gas fumes and other issues . i have seen cabin heaters like on your car. i just bought a mustang suit that will keep you warm in any weather even if you get wet like a rain storm
The buddy heaters also have a shutoff detector for the fumes also .

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
All the crazy catfish guys who fish all winter long on the Ohio River, all use Mr Buddy style heaters with no problems. I use my in the shanty then the next time out in the boat.

Alway bring a spare cylinder with you...LOL
Salmonid

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Do the Buddy heaters have an open flame? I would be worried about a gasoline leak. Rare but if it happens it's party over.

·
Tom B.
3,899 Posts
I've seen Jig and a few others run a Big Buddy in the fall w/o problems. Just have to make sure not to brush the front grill. It will burn a pantleg quick.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i use an atwood direct-vent camper heater. it cranks out 14,000 btu,vent,s the gas to the outside,keeps the cabin 70 even in the coldest days,or in my case nights.i use a simple on/off toggle switch in stead of a thermostat.it runs full blast from the time i leave the dock until i return.works at top speed(40+mph),run,s 60+ hours on a 20lb. cylinder,and i,ve used it in waves as big a 4'. i,ve been using it for 10+ years and never had ANY problems.i do own my own my own plumbing/HVAC company,i check my cabin regularly with my hand held co detector. my old boat( 17' crestliner fishhawk) sealed better at the windshield and kept driving rain as well as co from leaking back into my cabin.my new boat(18'crestliner) doesn't seal as well as my other boat and with the right wind ,i can get trace reading's of co in my cockpit (2-3 ppm),but since my top isn,t airtight, it leaks out as fast as it accumulates.i always fish with my dog so i monitor co levels constantly to insure he doesn't get sick.i custom designed a sheetmetal box to contain my furnace,covered it with water repelling material,s,lined it with fire-proof insulation,and fasten it down and my propane tank with MULTIPLE rubber bungie's.i;m the only boat on lake erie with this kind of set-up and get lot's of inquiries at the dock,but unfortunately for liability reason's, i've declined to give out the details and refuse to build similar models for my friends. i am considering building another unit 1 size larger as my new cockpit is 30-40 sq.ft. larger than my old one.i've been offered as much as $600 for my old one ,but will not sell it for liability reason;s. the furnaces cost around $500 and you;ll get that much into it hiring a sheetmetal shop to fabicate a shell to cotain the furnace as it should never be mounted without isolating the heater from the boat.mine is self contained,has a handle on top for easy removal, and can be removed as easily as suitcase.it will run any where you can get 12 volts and propane(i loaned it to a friend who put it in his kitchen window and heated his house with it while i installed a new furnace in his house).

·
716 Posts
I would like to purchase a propane heater for my boat and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what kind to get..........any comments would be appreciated.......thanks
I do not know what kind of boat U have, but in anything other than a completely open O/B, with no under deck wiring, propane on a boat is very, very dangerous. Propane is much denser than air & will seek the lowest possible spot & lay there for a long time, if not disturbed. U could have a 5 second leak, & a half an hour later, if there is any kind of an ignition source, BOOM! That is why boats have alcohol stoves instead of propane. Fuel oil is the safest, unless U have an inboard or I/O, in which case U can buy a tractor type hot water heater @ a store like TSC, or Harbor Frieght. Even a gasoline heater in a boat is much safer than propane.

·
Wizard of Eyez
288 Posts
I'd agree with all the warnings about safety but if a Mr Buddy is a risk you'd have a more serious problem to begin with. In that case a cigarette could be a risk! You'd have been smelling gas if that were the case. As long as your gas tank vent isn't anywhere near it (they are on the exterior anyway) I wouldn't worry. That's assuming you're not putting it in a cuddy cabin or any enclosed space. On the floor between the dual consoles or in front under a hard top with some ventilation and you'll be fine. If you want to go the extra mile keep it up off of the floor a bit since gas fumes are heavier. Good luck!

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
any type heater with an open flame has some risk. but i do like the mister buddy heaters. i have used them in our motorhome for deer hunting. if they are bumped or knocked over they shut off. i,ve used mine for extra heat in the mh while driving as the heater just wasnt enough to keep it warm. and just hitting some rough roads would shut it off. it also has a built in low oxygen sensor, that shuts it off if the oxygen starts to get unsafe. i really dont know of a safer or better heater out there. unless maby you got a rear heater out of a van converson. and hooked the water lines up to your engine and kept it running. i use the 20 lb tank with mine, and after i get everything hooked up and test it out, i take a mixture of dish soap and water and test all my conections. i have never found a leak, but it makes me feel better to check them just to be on the safe side.
sherman

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have a Colman Focus 5 propane heater, been using it on my boat safely for 10yrs, it heats way better than a coleman lantern and I think it's safer, if you coleman lantern gets knocked over WATCH OUT,, if the propane heater gets knocked over it will go out. I use a coleman lantern on the boat for night fishing nevertheless, and it does give me a slight uneasy feeling, I keep a watchfull eye on it. Any portable fuel fired appliance is hazardous, the operator has to anticipate the potential and always be prepared.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Guys saying they use them and keep a watchful eye, etc. Well why do you have to keep a watchful eye?? Because there is a good amount of danger involved. Sorry, to me not worth the risk. People say they do it 100 times but maybe that 101st time you run into an issue. Not for me. Sorry. An open flame on a boat to me is worrisome. As quick as it can burn your pant leg it could burn your canvas enclosure to. JMO

·
aka iridealot9
745 Posts
Dress warmer, you dont want a propane heater on a boat, if it is a i/o it is a big no no. Ask Ron { shotdrift } if he would put a propane bottle on a boat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts