Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The boat I bought has a custom cover made of a very heavy grade cloth like canvas materal. I would like to know if you guys that have these type covers treat the cloth with any kind of preserative. If so what do you use, how often, and where do you get it? TIA
John

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
My last four boats have had custom covers made out of Top Gun canvas. These need nothing but a quick washing with a little dish soap in warm water and a very soft nylon bristle brush once every other year.

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
Make sure you find out what type of material the cover is made of. "Sunbrella" material for example has specific care and maintanence requirements. Scrubbing with any old detergent is not recommended...there are products made for cleaning and resealing boat canvas...as freyed suggested, check at West Marine for whats available...be prepared for sticker shock...canvas sealants (good ones) are expensive, but they will make a difference in performance.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
My last four boats have had custom covers made out of Top Gun canvas. These need nothing but a quick washing with a little dish soap in warm water and a very soft nylon bristle brush once every other year.
TOLD TO ME FROM A GUY WHO HAS A AUTO CARE DETAIL SHOP. Makes good logic? In his expert advice.
'NEVER USE DISH SOAP FOR A CAR WASH.' Most people use a couple of drops to suds up for a wash. A dish detergent is made to cut grease, & is to powerfull for any car finish if one has just waxed it. BOOM WAX GONE. cuts right into & dissolves any protective wax that you put on. Same goes for you boat cover, If it be Sunbrella, Top Gun, or Canvas. One would be better off using the recommended product for the application. JUST FOLLOW PRODUCT GUIDE.

Like my motor covers are black canvas, I just go to Wallys world & buy their CAMP DRY, for them, wash them evry fall & retreat them before storing. Works great.
Nik,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts