close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

boat cover not so waterproof

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Eliminator, Aug 8, 2007.

1. I recently bought a 1990 20' chaparral and it came with a nice fitting snap around canvas cover made just for the boat, it was put to the test yesterday with all that heavy rain. I looked out a couple times and all the water was sheding off great no puddling at all anywhere, but when I pulled the cover off today the carpet and all was just entirely soaked, now i don't even want that cover on thinking it's just trapping moisture, do i need to seal the cover with some scotchquard or do canvas covers just leak during terrential rains?

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

west marine sells a waterproofer by the gallon for it. clean it ,then apply.

3. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

I've had my cover on the boat for 6 years, it is now just starting to get some water in the boat, I'm going to treat it with 303 Fabric Guard which is what Sumbrella recommends, goes on Ebay for like 50 bucks, MSRP is 89 bucks..........Doc

4. If I were you, I would Go Get a tarp and some bungie cords

5. Scotch Guard- Garbage! Don't even condider 'Thompson water seal.

Go to a good Boat (canvas shop) let them look at it ask what they recommend for YOUR COVER. Is it like canvas? Sunbrella? Top Gun? or what?

I use #303 for all my Boating needs like rubber, seats, outdoor furniture, etc., GOOD STUFF & $$.

BUT FIND OUT SPECIFICALLY WHAT YOU GOT!

Nik