close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

boat battery question

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by chopper, Feb 9, 2009.

1. I went to Batteries Plus today cause my bass boat battery that is less than a year old won't charge. They were checking it out and was asking me questions about it. I told them that I was using a Schumaker charger, a really good one and it just says check battery. I charged my other two boat batteries and they did fine. While they were still messing around, I was reading the charger box and it says aways charge a marine battery on shore. I have electric at my dock and I have charged my pontoon boat and my bass boat batteries in the water for years. Does anyone know what this means? The kid at the battery store didn't know.

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

probably just a safety precaution.they're afraid some doofus will drop it in the water while charging his batteries or something worse.kinda like the warning on mickey d coffee cups;)

3. When you are charging the battery, the chemical reaction of charging can give off an explosive gas...That and boats aren't a good combination.

4. I guess that I didn,t think of either of your answers. I bet Misfit is right about the over cautious thing. And snakecharmer reminded me about the off gas thing. I will have to be careful. It is very easy for me to charge in the water. I will keep the lids open when I,m charging. Thanks.

5. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

Geez. Makes my eyes water just thinkin bout it. My guess is it is better to drop a cup of coffee on your privates than a group 27 deep cycle battery... :D:D:D