Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What batteries does everyone use ? And where can you get the best prices ? I will be buying all new batteries by the spring.

Reactions: fishnfever

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
question ,what is your main use,trolling a lot, just starting, , I,m just a inland lake guy 18ft boat rarely use my trolling motor ,115hp and a 8hp kicker, two fish finders ,I use wal mart deep cycle marine. been in the boat four years ,put on the charher when I get home, there are only three makers of batteries they just put different tags on them.

·
florida ice fishing
13,738 Posts
wall mart batteries have been good to me. I use 2 dual-purpose deep cycle group 27 in my boat. in my old motorhome, I use the same batteries for the motorhome and a group 24 for starting. you can get the ever start group 27 for 81.00 or the starting group 24 for 75.00. for most applications, the 24 is all you'll ever need. now if you night fish or run a lot of electronics then I'd go with the 27. for heavy use, a group 29, 31, 34, batteries are made and some are sold under different name brands online at wall mart.

another great option if you or a friend are members of sam's club they have awesome sales on their marine batteries. and there probably made by the same people that make wall mart batteries,

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I use Trojan SC 225's for my trolling motor. At a little over $400 for the pair, they are expensive, but as a bass fisherman I use my trolling motor a lot. In the 3 years that I've had them I have never had a lack of power at the end of a day of fishing. And some of those days have been 6 hours of fishing time in 15 - 20 mph winds.

Cranking battery, I currently have a 24 series something or other that I got at Wal Mart. I think I've had it in there for 5 or 6 years. It's beginning to wear down more quickly during the day (electronics, and live well run off it as well) so I'll be replacing it prior to the start of next season, with a 27 series that I'll probably get at NAPA. I've read good things about the NAPA batteries.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Just switched to an Interstate for cranking/electronics and love it.

will be upgrading the trolling motor batteries over the winter as one has died. I haven’t been able to find a good dealer in Columbus for quality Deep Cycle marine batteries.

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
Interstate group 29 for trolling motor

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
"My grace is sufficient for you"
11,776 Posts
Just switched to an Interstate for cranking/electronics and love it.

will be upgrading the trolling motor batteries over the winter as one has died. I haven’t been able to find a good dealer in Columbus for quality Deep Cycle marine batteries.
Have you tried Crown batteries?
They are based/manufactured out of Freemont Ohio and have a store in Cols.
Always had great service out of both their automotive and Marine batts.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Batteries plus has a line that has full 4 yr replacement. I am on year 3 and no issues yet. They are kind of expensive but so far they are worth it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Batteries plus has a line that has full 4 yr replacement. I am on year 3 and no issues yet. They are kind of expensive but so far they are worth it.
The X2 from Batteries Plus has performed very well for for me on my current boat and my previous boat. They are pricey but it’s worth it to me know the big engine will start.
There are previous threads about my displeasure with various Interstate batteries so I will not bring that up again. I have a fairly large electronics load when trolling with multiple electronics units, VHF, livewell pump and other items that may be on and have never had an issue with the big motor starting. I do run a back up starting battery but have never had to utilize it.

·
Musky Finger
1,047 Posts
I got 2 of those Optima deep cycle batteries for the last 5 years for my teilling motor. Absolutely no complaints and I would highly recommend them.

·
retired pipefitter120/669 sprinkler fitter
1,278 Posts
I have a NAPA deep cycle in a dump trailer I have been in for 10yrs and still holds a charge. I know it's not used a lot but still holds a charge.

·
retired pipefitter120/669 sprinkler fitter
1,278 Posts
I put a Mennard's deep cycle in the boat as a 3rd battery only gets charged when big motor is running so far so good. Did some research on them I think the next 2 will be Mennards.

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
4,775 Posts
FYI,,,, Youtube.
This guy really knows how to compare, just about everything. Wallyworld 'Everstart' still one of the best rated for the price.

Complete play list,,,, Rainy day stuff;

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,356 Posts
Reactions: crappiedude

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just picked up a group 27 deep cycle from Menards for $90.00 on sale. After the 11% mail in rebate (9.90) that makes it $80.00. Hard to beat that price.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts