Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure anyone who has needed to use the BMV has experienced the crazy lines since they've opened. I was off Friday and decided to get paperwork straightened out for an out of state boat I purchased right when lock downs were starting to go in place. Got there 30 minutes before opening and line was already around the building.
Anyways, the folks were nice at the BMV once it was my turn but dang is it a hassle getting everything sorted out for out of state boats since each state has different requirements (some title trailers, some don't, some title motors some don't, etc). So I have titles for the trailer, hull, kicker (though not needed since it's under 10hp) but only bill of sale and serial number and photo of serial number on main outboard as it came from non motor titling state. The BMV called someone asking if I needed to provide a picture or stencil of serial number for main and they said I needed a title (again how from non motor titling state), I cant register boat until I get new title for the boat, though irrelevant as the watercraft system is down and has been for some time I'm told to register new boats, also I have original title for trailer but no weight so I need the trailer weighed without the boat, which I helped a friend out years ago by fishing out of his boat while he ran to get his trailer weighed then came back and fished the rest of the day. I work weird shifts and will be some time before I could have a friend do the same, she recommended weighing with the boat on which would be grossly high as it's just a single axle trailer, or to register as commercial plates and I will pay roughly 10 more bucks a year but don't have to get it weighed. I was initially against this because it didn't seem right and had concerns for insurance or border crossing situations. I went ahead with the commerical plate which I can change at anytime if I get it weighed later on or can return sooner if I don't put on and get a refund as long as I don't use the tag/plate.
My buddies neighbor said he was offered the same thing at a different BMV when he bought an out of state boat but he ended up going to a weigh place talked them up and they just gave him a slip off what they thought it was roughly.
I try to do things the correct way just to save myself trouble down the road and was curious if anyone did the commercial plate with some unknown consequence down the road outside of minor increase in cost for annual tags?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I had the same type of bs to deal with when registering and titling my boat/trailer/motor combo that I bought in MI. I had a registration for the trailer that had the weight on it but the BMV wouldn’t accept it. I took it to a local company that’s deals with this a lot and they used the registration weight to give me a weight slip.

This year I got a tax bill for the motor because there was no price listed for it on title. The complete amount was listed on the boat title, which I paid taxes on. And all this was done at the titling office when I first transferred the titles. I sent all my documentation to the state tax office but haven’t heard back from them. There is so much bureaucracy in the bmv that no one knows what all the rules are.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am under the impression that you don't need commercial plates on any trailer under 3000 # If your rig on the trailer is under 3000 # I would go that way. My commercial (stock) trailer 3020 # tags are over twice my small boat trailer. App $ 30 Vs $68. I had to have a weight on the com. trailer anyway, but I had manufacturer certificate for that. Weights on reg. trailer plate titles don't matter, but if com. weight on title is over 3000 # it would negatively effect resale value, down the road. If money is no object then do it whichever way floats your boat.:)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The commercial plate seems like a way around getting the trailer weighed without having to go through the hassle of taking the boat off and paying somewhere to get it weighed (obviously commerical plates when used more appropriately are for just that, a business), when getting the commercial plates she just said put what I think it weighs.
The whole concept doesn't make sense, if a trailer under 4000lbs doesn't need a title but needs weighed and registered; the whole concept of cost for registration based on weight makes sense if thinking more weight equals more road wear therefore more cost, then why do they want the weight with the boat off, as a person is almost never going to tow and empty boat trailer, therefore should want weight with the boat.
I was looking back and there are threads from 6+ years ago going through the same issues. Most folks seemingly just find places that will write something for you to get around what really does seem like nonsense unless I am missing something. Thinking more about it the idea of titles for motors over 10hp but not under also makes little sense to me. What's more likely to walk away, a 9.9 kicker or a 150 two stroke bolted to a transom?
It does seem like an unnecessary mess that could be easily stream lined if anyone in such a position cared to do so.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
. The commercial plate seems like a way around getting the trailer weighed without having to go through the hassle of taking the boat off and paying somewhere to get it weighed (obviously commerical plates when used more appropriately are for just that, a business), when getting the commercial plates she just said put what I think it weighs.
The whole concept doesn't make sense, if a trailer under 4000lbs doesn't need a title but needs weighed and registered; the whole concept of cost for registration based on weight makes sense if thinking more weight equals more road wear therefore more cost, then why do they want the weight with the boat off, as a person is almost never going to tow and empty boat trailer, therefore should want weight with the boat.
I was looking back and there are threads from 6+ years ago going through the same issues. Most folks seemingly just find places that will write something for you to get around what really does seem like nonsense unless I am missing something.
In my case, it was flat out incompetence from the clerk (supervisor no less) who told me one day that the MI registration was fine but the very next day had to ask someone else and came back to tell no. I had to have it weighed. Even gave me the name of a place to take it. No amount of common sense logic worked on her. She got an earful from me as well. The place I took it to just needed the registration and didn’t charge me for the form. Took all of 5 mins.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,845 Posts
My buddy moved to PA, but bought a boat from my next door neighbor here in OH. When he tried to get all the paperwork done PA wanted a serial number for the trailer. I climbed all over and under that thing, and there was no serial number! No plate, no number stamped anywhere on the trailer, no nothing. We were at a loss.

Then I remembered that I had a set of numbered punches that I had found somewhere. 0 through 9! So, I made up a number and hammered it into one of the rails. Gave my buddy the number, told him where it was on the trailer, and he got his registry! Back in those days everything wasn't computerized, so they had no way of disputing it.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Over the years I have found most places will give you a weight slip without actually weighing the trailer.

Reactions: garhtr

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plot twist, get a call from BMV saying title rejected because I didn't pay enough sales tax. The employee only had me pay sales tax on items I was titling not the entire purchase price which included him driving it to me from northern Illinois by the way.

I was off work today, they wanted me to itemize what I paid between the 2 outboards, hull, and trailer, but I said I would just make numbers up because how do I know really value that breakdown; they said just pay the difference in sales tax then for purchase price for what I've already paid (they had no problem cashing my first check in their incorrect amount), the amount they give me seems excessive as Ohio State sales tax is 5.75% and I already did the math. They said no, you pay the county sales tax that you reside in, so I'm paying 7% instead of the 5.75%, in total almost 700$ in taxes to buy a used boat, what a joke and cluster.
Why are they charging county tax rate vs state tax rate?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So researching I found a person pays the 5.75% state tax plus their counties listed sales tax which for Hamilton county is an additional 1.25% The employees couldn't verbalize this and didn't even know the exact states sales tax. I figured I would just include this in case someone searches the forum in the future and has similar issues.

Also, when I was at the BMV was told watercraft system remains down so they said there is an extension to use watercrafts without proper registration/hull numbers and no idea when it would be back up (which will make a 4th trip in the future to the BMV, as I still need to pick titles up for the 3rd trip next week). I'm a patient person but what a joke.

·
2,081 Posts
So researching I found a person pays the 5.75% state tax plus their counties listed sales tax which for Hamilton county is an additional 1.25% The employees couldn't verbalize this and didn't even know the exact states sales tax. I figured I would just include this in case someone searches the forum in the future and has similar issues.

Also, when I was at the BMV was told watercraft system remains down so they said there is an extension to use watercrafts without proper registration/hull numbers and no idea when it would be back up (which will make a 4th trip in the future to the BMV, as I still need to pick titles up for the 3rd trip next week). I'm a patient person but what a joke.

And people wonder why some people lie about the amount they paid for a used boat....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts