close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bluegills eat weeds

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GMR_Guy, Apr 25, 2005.

1. I never realized that bluegills would eat weeds until I saw my pet bluegill eating them today. I have a 4" bluegill that lives with a 6" bass in my planted aquarium. Recently, I have begun to experiment with feeding them every other day instead of every day. The first giveaway that the bluegill was eating weeds was when I saw him "passing" a substantial portion of weeds. While watching a movie I glanced over and saw him tugging at some weeds. His favorite type of weed is Hornwort (ceratophyllum demersum) which is native to Ohio and often grows into huge clumps on the bottom; sometimes it is referred to as moss. It made me laugh out loud watching the bluegill tug backwards on the weeds, shaking his head side-to-side. I stopped watching the movie and filmed the bluegill eating weeds off and on for about half an hour. The bluegill even tore off some long, probably weak, stems of vallisineria that are over a foot long.

A Google search revealed some links that say bluegills will eat vegatation if food is scarce.

Well, I bet go feed my bluegill a few worms, before he remodels the entire aquarium. I learned something today.

I edited this post and added pics of the bluegill eating some weeds. The val eater pics refer to the bluegill eating italian val (vallisneria spiralis). He managed to break off a 12" section of this plant, he ended up eating a two inch piece that he got to fold over and break in his mouth. The third picture is of him tugging of some algae off a plant.

Attached Files: