close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bluegill ?

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Rooster, Aug 23, 2004.

1. How long will bluegill survive in a minnow bucket? I want to catch some bluegill for bait, but would only be able to get the bait a few days before going fishing. I have heard that bluegill a pretty hardy fish. Do you think that most will survive a few days in a minnow bucket? Thanks!

2. Depends on how many you have and how often you change the water. I wouldn't expect to keep too many, and make sure they have plenty of oxygen and fresh water. If possible, I'd get something bigger to keep them in.

3. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

I can't stress enough, live bait fishermen, especially catfishermen, need aerators for bait.

4. a 30 gallon aqueriom will keep quite a few healthy for a while with filter and pump

5. if you can catch green sunfish id use them. They are my fav. bait, but they seem like they can live anywhere forever.

6. catking

catking Banned

rustyfish said something that finally made sense :D Green sunfish, caught from creeks, make the BEST cat bait I believe, in my opinion ;) Regaurdless, they all need to be aereated.Gills will stay alive for a few days if the oxygen is kept up..........THE CATKING !!!

7. They are to me the one of the best Flathead baits besides Bullheads. Its hard to find them bigger than 5in though. Hybrid bluegill are actually a better choice they are a mix between a green sunfish and bluegill, they are big and very very lively

8. I had about 6 green sunfish live in a cooler full of dead creekbait for a good 2_1/2 days out in the sun. I did not do this on purpose but i was amazed when i found them.