Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Float Tubing Fanatic
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a weedless surface lure for bluegill? Problem is, I have only spinning reels, so fly fishing baits don't help me. It'd be useful when the bluegill are in a weedbed, where my typical panfish lures like small crankbaits, jigs, and roostertails don't work. I figure the weedless part might be especially tough to find since with their small mouths, I don't know how you'd hide the hook in the lure to make it weedless but still be able to catch the bluegill. At the least, I'd like any suggestions on just a surface lure for bluegill that would work on an UL spinning setup.

·
Premium Member
4,750 Posts
Foam water spiders. One of the best surface baits ever for me. Any color, as long as the legs jiggle.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Chaunc hit the nail on the head... Nick was hammering the big gills at Portage earlier in the week with them. Black body w/ green legs was hot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I lived in Oregon many people used fly fishing flies on a spinning rod. They would use a bobber to chuck it out where they wanted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts