Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8-16 A great day with my grandson at our bluegill lake. We got our meal & wax worms and drove over to the lake. We had the lake all to ourselves, sunny with a slight breeze. The fish were hitting the baits every cast when they were active. We just had to be ready for the bobber would go down too quickly some time and the fish got the bait.

The meal worms seemed to get hit a little faster than the wax worms at the start. We did have some time when the action just stopped for about 15 minutes at a time. We move to the other end of the lake when things slowed down caught a few fish there then walked back to our first spot.

Once again my grandson landed the most fish for the day. We did get 5 smaller lmbass largest was 11 inches. My grandson said we set a new record for total fish caught on this trip, somewhere above 121 fish! All of the fish were released back into the lake so we can catch them again on future trips. I am sure we missed a good number of bites as well that day. There are still a few months left to get back to “OUR BLUEGILL HEAVEN”, I am sure my grandson wants to try for a new record again.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Nlcatfish, growing up fishing with my dad have me some great memories. Like you my dad had a buddy with a soft spot for kid fishermen. He opened up his farm pond/lake to us. Dad a friend and me went there; dad having us believe he knew nothing of the place.

My friend and I started fishing and dad and his friend were "competing" with us. We were casting and catching nearly 1:1. My friend and I had way to many gills to count and were laughing and having "that kinda day." Dad swears we were catching 100 gills/hr; maybe, but it has stuck with me ever since.

I was allowed to fish there at will for years afterward. Turned out to be one of the finest bass ponds I have ever been to in my life. But I will never forget that day with a good buddy and my dad.

I talked to that friend every few years and after 3 decades he still talks about that day.

Never underestimate the memory making power of a great day fishing with a loved one. Congrats on the great time fishing with the little one. No doubt something he will remember forever!

And yes, I miss that pond too!:p

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
Awesome story, NL. I remember the same kind of trip growing up. You have a lucky grandson.

I might have some more garlic waxworms for you soon. I had a batch escape on me last month while I was away out of town, but you're more than welcome to the next hatch. I've had some that are as big as my pinky lol

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have informed 2 of my friends that are also grand fathers where this spot is. They can also have great experiences with there grand children. One guy lives with in 5 minutes of the lake, but never knew it was even there! I know my youngest grandson is hooked on fishing. The older 2 grand children also like that spot for action.

·
Registered
25 Posts
this type of non-stop fish catching would be something every kid should be introduced too. I find it way to often that my little ones get bored, which makes for a long "short" day. I just don't know the spots well enough here in ohio. Wish there were more ponds filled to the gill with bluegill and stuff that were more known to the weekend fisherman. Would be alot easier to pry the kids from the tv if there were. Sounds like you had and awesome day and your grandson's are very lucky that they've made a memory that they don't even know they made! Good job!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My suggestion is to check around any local bait shops and talk with owner , they usually have some knowledge of places that have bluegills that are good to taske children. Next call around to county or city parks folks, seem more town have small lake just for kids to try their luck. If you live in the country check around at the feed store those folks might be able to help find someone in the area that allows kids to fish on their ponds. Once you find good pond or lake I am sure your children will gget hooked on fishing as well Norb

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
nice report nl...its relly nice to hear people takin their grandkiddies out fishing..i hope the memories stick with him forever..i know they did with me and my grandfather

1 - 8 of 8 Posts