close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bluegill lakes?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by HaroldtheMeek, Aug 22, 2007.

1. My son wants me to take him out for some bluegill fishing.
    Whats the chances of getting into some decent sized bluegill around here?
    I have several lakes within striking distance of my house: Caesars Creek, Cowan, Acton, Rush Run, and Stonelick.
    Any advice on where to go would be greatly appreciated.
    By the way, all I have to fish out of is an old 12 foot rowboat.

2. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

check out Lake La Su Anne...its a great place to go catch some eater gills... check into it on the ODNR website though...because you have to get a permit to fish it and have the rangers check you when you go and leave....but its a great bluegill and bass fishery

3. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

yup hes rite the best gillin' is a la su ann its around toledo ohio which sounds like a drive for u but may be worth looking into. Great bass fishing too. I think ur best bet is a local pond ;)

4. Caught some eating sized ones at Cowan not long ago, but there really weren't that big to get excited about. How far do you want to drive? How big do the gills need to be?

5. iteech

iteech Shebasser

...don't know where you're at, but if you just need lots of gills to pull up, you can try the Kettering Rec park--they have nice banks and mostly the little gills will bite constantly. If you know anyone who has a pond in their housing section, ask them can you go there. I have friends in two local sections, and they let me fish there any time as a guest...and these little ponds are often surprisingly productive--especially for millions of gills. The kids have a blast...and they are near-by, so you don't have to drive far.;)

6. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

hey iteech where is that pond you told me about catching all those bass and that 23lb blue cat?

7. iteech

iteech Shebasser

I reminded you!!:D

8. Harold,

You might want to try Eastwood Lake. I know it has some good-sized gills and so does Blue Lake, which is the smaller borrow pit down at the west end of Eastwood Lake (the one within the park). Otherwise, Carriage Hill in Huber Heights has some good fishing. There's also a tiny park pond in Beavercreek if you go east on Dayton-Xenia Rd from N. Fairfield. It's not very big, but it holds some nice 'gills in the north end, and there's even a bench to sit on while you fish.