close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blue Marlin fillets at the grocery store.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wetnet, Jan 10, 2005.

1. What are your thoughts on grocery stores selling Blue Marlin fillets?

I may be wrong, but I always thought Marlin and Sailfish were considered gamefish, and had some sort of protected status against commercial sales. Now I am seeing marlin fillets at just about every grocery store I go in. I can not imagine farm raised marlin, or any marlin other than what is caught in the ocean. What's up? If anyone knows the background on this I'd be interested in hearing it.

Thanks.

2. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Marlin has been in stores for quite some time now. I'm not sure of the season on them but I tried it once, and didn't like it. Didn't have the same texture as swordfish.

3. I think you will hear a lot of people who boycott buying any billfish for the reason you mentioned. They have been fished pretty hard over the years and their numbers went way down. I guess it depends on who you listen to as to the health of their species population. I guess my thought on it is that they seem to be in the category like bass/muskie as far as freshwater. They are a very well respected sportfish and there seems to be many other species out there that can replace them on the table quite well.

4. catking

catking Banned

The Ocean is just like a river ........ SORTA :D ...... 90% of the fish in a river is located in 10% of the water/area. Same as the Ocean. People look at its vastness and think it can never be hurt as far as quotas on the fish catch. You can be never so wrong. Like rivers, 90% of the fish are located in 10% of the oceans areas , and the netters know where ;) ...... CATKING

5. I just can't even see a commercial fishing boat catching enough Marlin to make it profitable. I always thought they were about as easy to catch as a muskie, re., very difficult. I haven't seen muskie on ice at the stores. It makes me wonder if it even is Marlin, given the documented sales of "red snapper" which is actually a less desirable fish labeled as such.

6. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

Black Marlin is normally what it is, they may of renamed it too a much more recognizable name. It is on occasion Blue Marlin as well, not sure how they get it, they may be by products of another type of fishing, if it is already dead, should they throw it back or try and sell it. From what I hear about Marlin, once you find one you find a bunch, not concetrated together mind you, but in the same area.

Now on to the eating qualities of it, not by any means the best fish you can have but it can be prepared nicely. The only way I really ever liked it was if the steaks where pounded sort of flat, and the marinated in olive oil, pepper, salt, garlic and herbs. Simply sear for a minute or so on each side in a hot pan and you got a pretty tasty dish. The same can be done with swordfish as well.

7. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Shame on anyone who eats a billfish :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. As much as i hate it i've pretty much stopped myself from buying most ocean species. Shark, tuna, and i guess marlin now are all way overharvested, not to mention high in mercury. It really kills me but i've even stopped myself from buying salmon most of the time. Just to let you guys know the "farm raised" does nothing to protect the species because the salmon in hatcherys require live food and that means they commercially fish bait fish, which impacts not only wild salmon but a mass of other species and even marine mammals and birds. If i ever buy fish in a supermarket its almost always tilapia, properly farm raised and super mild. usually gets me by till i can get some eyes, perch, and crappie in the freezer.

9. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

Why target one species??? Because it fights well????

If that was the case what about the other more popular species that fight incredible well for thier size. Tuna are an amazing fight, halibut can be brutal, a large fish can pull your boat around a bay for hours before you have a chance to get it close to a boat. Granted I am in agreement that any sort of commercial fishing is not the best thing for the enviroment, but don't just target one species as more important than the rest.

If it makes you feel any better, I do not see Marlin ever taking off as a food item in high demand, it really is not that great as a food fish. Normally people try it once as a novelty, and then never try it again. By the way, I have seen it available to purchase since the 80's this is not something new, has been going on for a while.

It is not overly expensive, and there normally is not a lot of it, that is why I was under the assumption it was a by product of another type of fishing. Maybe found near death in a net along with lord know what else, in that case the fishing boat probably trys to make a little money off it instead of throwing it back as fish bait. If that aspect bothers you too much, I will stress that you will need to give up just about all fish and not just boycott one species. It is most likely the fishing for those other species that is the indirect cause of some of these billfish ending up on the table. I highly doubt there are too many commercial fishing boats outside of Japan that are trying to make a living harvesting Marlin for the table. A lot more money to be made in Tuna, Snapper, Grouper, Halibut and of course the most widely eaten billfish of them all the Swordfish.

10. I watched a documentary one time a while back about commercial fishing methods and technologies. It was a pretty interesting show. They presented various different methods of catching. I really do not know what all methods are used nowadays. But they were running longline sets that were like a half mile long. When they were bringing these in they were getting a large number of billfish along with tuna shark and others. I believe many were marlins, perhaps mostly black. But the point is there are methods out there to get the fish. As Catking said there are very concentrated populations of fish in certain areas of the ocean just as there are in the lakes. Because of this behavior it makes them susceptible to overharvest just like any other body of water. Miso_Ohio has a good point. This risk of overharvest is not only limited to the billfish.

11. Thanks for the opinions. I was a little amazed, myself.

Last summer, I went fishing for marlin with a few guys that are into that kind of fishing more than me. They talked about billfish being an endangered species, and so I was amazed to see them at the grocery store.

A few of you guys mentioned muskie. Here is a little-known bit of info. I listened to a DNR guy giving a seminar once, and he mentioned that Erie was full of muskie in the 1800's. Apparently, they were netted by commercial fishermen as table-fare until they were pretty much wiped out. He said that near the end of the netting they were getting several million pounds per year. Imagine the fishing back then!

12. The Great Lakes Muskellunge......Read "The Fishes Of Ohio" by Milton Trautman sometime!

13. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

In Hawaii, marlin are eaten all the time. The one I caught on the charter boat was sold to fish market. the fish market guy was there in a truck right after we got off the boat.