close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blue Heron Problem

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LFN, Sep 20, 2004.

1. LFN

LFN

Does anyone know how to get rid of a Blue Heron-legally? I have a pond in my yard with bass and hybrid bluegills and recently put in a significant amount of baitfish for them to feed on. The heron likes the baitfish too, and seems to eat a lot. Notably absent are the tadpoles that were there as well as a bullfrog. Someone suggest a decoy as these birds are territorial. A $49.95 decoy later I find that this bird will share the pond.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Lou

2. Have a little fun with bottle rockets ;)

3. Dingo

Dingo

Get a dog. My dog loves to chase them.

4. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

How big is the pond? If it is small enough - say 12x12 - you can effectively keep the bird out. If its larger you will need a dog on constant patrol.

Option 1: Get long stakes (green are the best - they look like small rebar) about 5 ft long and insert then around the edge of the pond, facing inward like this \. Next take a line that is thick enough to withstand some pressure - as it may get tested - and string it around those stakes in 2/3 different levels. The idea here is to twart access to the pond while not presenting an eyesore. My dad used this for about a month on his pond with great success and then took the line (not the stakes) down. The bird has not been back.

Option 2: Provide cover under the water where fish can hide. Overhanging rocks, tubes, lilypads, etc. IF the bird gets in the pond the fish need a place to hide from the bird. The fish will learn to avoid the bird.

Option 3: There are motion-detector sprinklers you can get that will go off when motion is detected. I would guess the bird does not like getting a jet of water in the face. Never tried that before.

Option4: A net over the whole pond. You may need this for the fall anyways, as leaves will clog the filter system.

Option 5: Paint ball gun.

Good luck.

5. Electric fence, about 2' high off the water, all around the perimeter.

6. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

there probably isn't a good effective solution if you have a pond that's any size at all. We have a very small pond here at work (by small I mean you could almost jump across it) and we've deployed a heron decoy and two "scarecrow" sprinklers that are motion sensing. The sprinklers work well, but I'd imagine your pond is too big for something like that.

7. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

is it illegal to shoot them?

flash-----------------------------out

8. I think M.Magis's suggestion for the electric fence makes the most sense to me. It really would not cost too much to run a fence around it. Even if it is a sizeable pond you can fence it in.

9. Daisy rents for $50 a day plus room and board. :D We had a heron for two days and then it got Daisy'd. :cool: Hasn't been back since. :)

Attached Files:

10. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

LFN, just curious who are ya getting your fish from when you mention just having put in baitfish. I work for JFH down in Newtown, we deal with A LOT of minnows and shiners.

The secret to the blue herron decoy is you have to move it occasionally, every few days works best. If you arn't moving it the herron that use to come there figures it out and goes back to his normal routine. Herrons are territorial, I'm sure that'll fix your problem.

11. Shoot it and stuff it in a Ground Hog Hole

12. LFN

LFN

Fishman,
    I bought the baitfish and the decoy from JFH. Delivery was last Wednesday, put the decoy up Saturday and the heron moved in on Sunday. We never had a chance to move the decoy. Really pleased with you fish and service.
    Lou

13. LFN

LFN

Thanks for the ideas. To answer a few questions= the pond is about 1 acre, drops off very vuickly to 10/11 ft except the beach area, which is the area the heron hangs in.
    Also, I went out a half hour ago and chased him again.
    Lou

14. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I am with the paintball theory! ;) It will also provide cheap entertainment if you already have access to a paintball gun! :D

15. shooting it will make sure it dosnt come back. I dont know much about these birds. But could it possibly be a good thing for the pond? I wonder if having it around would keep a good balance to the pond as far as eating smaller fish and dying baitfish. Like a selective harvest type thing. Just wondering like i said i dont know much about them maybe they are known for cleaning out a pond. .

16. With adequate cover for panfish, baitfish, and young of the year I would think that its impact would be minimal. But then again that is all speculation. The cover would be good for the fish regardless.

17. The problem with Blue Herons is that when they crap in the water they transfer a parasite to the water, that in turn ends up in the bluegill. I have encountered this problem at Crystal Lake in Montrose this year. Huge Bluegill, but are all full of parasites.

18. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

LFN, I sent ya a PM :) I delivered a herron to someone last week, maybe it was me at your place.