close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blizzard Fishing

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by fishing_marshall, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Anybody else going today to ice fish in this blizzard? I'm headed to a pond in an hour and its snowin really hard. :D

2. crooked stripe

crooked stripe fishn and flyn

Seen 2 trucks at mogadore at 9:00. Didn't see anyone due to the fact you can only see about 300". You can't tell where the road is most of the time. Good day to stay home.

3. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

looks like we might have a "window of opportunity" from about noon to 6pm today.

im no weather man...but thats what the radar looks like as of right now.

4. Wish I could go... I've had my best outtings in these type conditions...
    If I go it wil be tonight at edgewater...

5. All this snow on top of all the questionable ice that has been reported will raise the odds of breaking through. :eek: The only way you would get me out in these conditions is with a super hot walleye bite report and a spud bar.
    :)

6. I was talking about the incoming weather front Ron NOT the ice conditions...
    Your 110% correct about the snow on ice...
    My feet will be on land this weekend... somewhere I hope...

7. Drove past Mogodore/Congress Lake Road this morning around 7:45 - 8:00. Saw about 4-6 shanties on the ice. They were east of the CLR ramp about 75-100 feet, maybe 20-30 feet from shore. Big Daddy was getting ready to venture out. I would have stopped but the weather was getting nasty! If the ice would have been another inch or two thicker, I may have ventured out but its just not worth it to me. I'm sure we'll get a report later on how they did.

I may hit Nimisila tomorrow. Heard decent ice reports there. Will post if I do.

Looks like a break in the weather, guess I better start shoveling!

Tread Safely!

8. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Good call "Tundra Breath" :D :D ;) I hereby nominate HWF official amature weatherman.

9. It quit snowing while we were out. Only 1 bluegill and then the water got to be too much on top of the ice so we moved to another pond and got nothing.

10. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

hey frog isnt that all it takes to be a bona-fide weatherman? a look at a map and a guess? :D :p

11. "Tricky" Dick Goddard better watch out! He has nothing on HWF!

12. Timbr

Timbr Alaska Grayling

Went to Ranger's lake today 2.5 hrs and only 1 dink gill. Still it's good to get out. Ice is 4" but only 2" of clear ice.

Be carefull out there.

Tim

13. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

Johnstown Jon and I took the drive through the heavy snow to get to Amicks in Gallion this morning. We got there about 7:30 AM, Tpet96 met us out there about 9 AM and we fished to about 2 in the afternoon. Lake was pretty safe on the S/E side, probably not a good idea to try the rest of it yet. Ice was clear and strong, most of it was a little more then 3 inches, you would on occasion drill a hole in under 2 inches. The ice did pop a little so it was still building ice, there was an occasional small hollow crack, which Tpet attributed to air pockets. The weight of the snow was pushing down on the ice so everywhere we drilled got pretty sloppy, had one moment where we heard a good crack when we where all standing together, quickly spread apart and all was well.

Fishing was slow all though there where a lot of lost nice fish right at the holes. We did manage 2 catfish ( 1 1/2 Lb and 5 1/2 Lb) a couple small crappie, gill and perch. Not the most productive day but it was good to be out, actually the weather was not as bad as I though it was going to be. We never set up the Shanty, pretty much we all kept moving trying to find the fish.

14. was at Chipp. Lake today with some friends from OGF
    Ice was real thin, 3 inches and less. if there was no sonw on it I would have not went out. Couldnt tell how thick it was.
    3 shanty's and maybe 24 dink Perch is all that was caught.
    But it felt good

Attached Files: