Blizzard 1978

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mach1cj, Jan 25, 2008.

1. 30 yrs. ago this weekend. remember it well. went ice fishin' @ Mouse island, for about 5 min. took us over 4 hrs. to get back home.(rt.2 Bay Bridge was closed down).lowest BP ever recorded around here. (28.62").:eek:

Attached Files:

2. We had moved into a new house in a new allotment in October 1977. During the blizzard we lost 14 trees with a MONSTEROUS Cherry Tree that had about a 6 foot diameter going down and taking the other 13 with it with a few of them falling on the new neighbor's garage. The yard looked like a war zone. That summer my dad threw the first of many "block parties" in our neighborhood but none of them ever topped what became known as "The Stump Party." There was a huge pit dug in the front yard and the stump sections of the trees that went down were put there and the fire / party went on for several days around the 4th of July that year. I was just looking at some pictures from that between Christmas and New Years.

3. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

I lived in an apartment. Single story, with conventional frame roof. It was totally covered by snow! We, my neighbor and I, had to tunnel out. About 15 yds or so. Put the snow in the bathtubs! East burbs of Cleveland. Hope to never see that again. I got pics somewhere.

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I remember it well. I was still working in the Fire Dept. and got called the night it hit. I lived in Hocking Co. and worked in Columbus. It took me 2 1/2 hours to get there. Normal trip was about an hour. I worked 6 straight days ( 6- 24 hour days- our shifts were 24 on 48 off) I had 8 hours off the 3rd. day. We delivered 2 babies during the storm. We also had a big fire that froze several pumpers up. I hope to never have to go through that again. The money was great - 120 hours of overtime but it took almost a week to re-cover from all that cold. When I got home I had to dig out my drive. I had a 250' driveway at the time. took me 2 days to get it dug out with my tractor and front loader. Funny thing was we never lost electric or water the whole time. Being 5 miles off the main road and not losing these was a real surprise.
    I still have pictures of the house and drive I took when I gt home.I'll try to copy them and post it here.

5. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

I remember it well.
    I woke up in the middle of the night to a pitch black,freezing house.
    I heard an awful howling noise and the entire house was rattling.
    I wandered to the front door to look outside and when I opened the door the wind ripped it out of my hand and tore it off the hinges.
    Telephone service was out too.
    My newborn daughter was a little over a month old.
    We hung a blanket over the kitchen door and stayed warm by the gas stove and candles.
    I worked the better part of 5 or 6 hours to shovel out my old car.
    I finally got it dug out and it would not start!
    No electric for a battery charger either.
    I walked over a mile or so to find a working telephone.
    Finally got a hold of my brother and convinced him to come out in the terrible weather and give me a jump.
    We made it safely to my inlaws where we stayed for a couple days.
    The snowdrifts and wind were unreal.
    I have seen nothing like it before or since!

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

oh,wasn't that a fun time:D
    i'd just bought a mobile home on 5 acres,east of newark.about 2 miles off the blacktop on a township road in the middle of the woods with a 500 foot driveway.sure glad i had a nice woodburner and supply of firewood to keep the kids warm.had to dig out of a window,as the place was buried.my car tires were imbedded in 6 inches of ice from the previous rain that froze under the snow.neighbor had a dozer and came by to take me and another guy to the blacktop where we hitched a ride with a guy in a 4x4.we went to the shop 3 miles away and got two more dozers.i drove a small dozer the 5 miles back home and together we worked 3 days 24/7 clearing snow on the back roads and delivering food/supplies to neighbors with those dozers.snow drifts were up to 15 feet on our road.was lots of fun working on the dozers in that cold blowing snow at 2 in the morning,just to keep them going.
    ah yes,i remember,LOL.

7. That was the year we walked across the Ohio river at downtown Cincinnati. A guy tried to drive a VW on the river. The ice was too lumpy and bumpy. He got hung up on an ice chunk. Six of us carried it back to the public landing. We kept dropping it on the ice. We were lucky we didn't all go through the ice. The river ice was thick but it was moving with the flow. Teenagers, cold, and beer. Go figure...

8. 30 years ago! Wow, I'm old. Was in high school at the time. Worked at the Manners Big Boy on Brookpark road for beer money (practicing for college?). Was called in to work a longer shift since they were expecting more truckers and travellers than normal due to the weather forecast.

It turned out being an extremely long "shift" that went overnight, since most other employees couldn't drive to get there and brookpark road was the only 'major' east/west road in the Cleveland area that was open. Turnpike, 480, 90, 71 were all closed. The place was packed with stranded folks waiting for roads to open. Was a great payday for a few days worked.

The strange part about that storm was the lack of snow. Big drifts, but overall not a huge snow event. Warm temps leading up to the day of the storm caused issues since the ground wasn't initially frozen - caused lots of trees to become uprooted.

Those two winters of 76 and 77 were memorable. Folks were even ice fishing the rivers since the ice was so thick.

9. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

I was a first year carpenter apprentice and had been in Cleveland installing millwork at a new Cunningham Drug Store (remember them). I was trying to return to Detroit, where I lived then, in a 24' box truck that we had brought down from our shop with the materials. Me and a Journeyman Carpenter in an empty box truck trying to head west on the turnpike with all the wind and snow. Needless to say didn't get far. Don't remember excatly where but all traffic just stopped. Not in a traffic jam, just stopped where they were because they could go no further. Turnpike workers picked people up in plow trucks and delivered them to the nearest plaza. We were lucky we made it about 1/2 mile from a plaza. That is where we spent the next 24 hrs with a boat load of strangers. I hear that is still the only time that the entire turnpike actually closed. It was a mess.

10. ress

ress

Oh yea! I remember walking to my girl freinds house and being able to look in her upstairs window! I was a senior in high school, in N. Baltimore. I think we missed like 11 days straight and had to make it up on saterdays. WILD!!!

11. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Hmm.... I wasnt born for a couple more years :D :D :D

12. This storm woke many of us to the power of nature.

Was heading for a sales meeting and got stranded in the car with two young ladies on rte 250 about 3 miles north of the turnpike. We got a ride out via snowmobile about 4 PM and spent the next 24 hours at a roadside motel/restaurant that used to be next to the turnpike on 250. Once inside, safe and warm it was a fun time with a bunch of others who all worked for the same organization.

Some people were not as lucky and didnt survive being stranded overnight in their cars.

13. I was still 5 years from being born, but I have heard many stories from my dad. He used to be a big bird hunter and said that this blizzard ruined the grouse population all over the state. At the time, he had just bought a German Shorthair pup to train to hunt, but it didn't last long cause the population diminished.

14. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I was 18 at the time. Lived with my parents out in the country. We were snowed in for 6 days until they brought a front end loader by and dug out the road.

15. i was 2 years old at the time. my dad back then worked for the city of dayton. he told me he was on the clock for 4 straight days. he retired from the city in 2006.

16. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

I remember waking up for school and hearing what I thought was a train back in the bottoms behind our house. It sounded as if the engine was whining and struggling to pull a load. I went downstairs to get coffe before school and my Dad was sitting at the table. He usually left before 6 Am but he was still there and I asked him why he wasn't going to work and he told me to step out on the back porch. I immediately knew that it wasn't a train I heard. We had wood and food but had to walk thru the fields to the farm next door to get milk for my baby sister. Spent that first day helping the neighbor cut down trees that were falling on his brand new house he built in the woods. We'd get one tree down and go warm up...man was that cold!!! That was the end of the pheasant and quail hunting for me, they never have made a comeback.

17. We I was 8 years old and remember my Mom getting on my Dad for being away from the family for so long. He hauled drs/nurses in his 4wd untill it got too bad then delivered people and supplies with the snowmobiles. I gues I was to young to really be worried we used to go north for that much snow. Probably the best mental picture I have is riding with my Dad to check on his parents and the snowdrifts were well over the top of their mobile home!!

18. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

I was in 8th grade. Just had my appendix out two weeks before. We lived ou in the country and my mom worked 3rd shift at the hospital. She was stranded there for several days. Oh those were the days when younger people could actually be left alone, trusted, and could actually fend for themselves if necessary. It was me my younger brother and my brother that was three years older then me. I remember shoveling the driveway that had snow over my head so my mom could get in when she got home. I swore then to never, never complain about the heat again. I'd take 100 degree weather over snow and ice any day!

19. I would like to thank all of the snow storms that winter.I'll be 30 in August and I think the snow is to blame for me being here.

20. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

We lived in the same house that I still have. My now 31 year old first daughter was just 13 months old. Our power didn't go out until sometime in the early morning so we had a little bit of prep time. We closed off the living room with drapes and blankets and started a fire in the fireplace. Our old coal/gas conversion furnace was right under the living room and it still worked because of a gravity feed system on the gas line. There was no fan but the heat still rose up into the room. We settled in with our two dogs and two cats and even baked a meatloaf in the fireplace with a homemade aluminum foil deflector oven. Ours was the furthest North house on our street that was not evacuated. When the "rescue team" got there at about 11:00 P.M. it was nearly 80 degrees in the living room!

My house faces directly West into what was an open field at the time. There were 4 to 7 foot drifts everywhere. Some guy came along with a front loader and charged me $5.00 to clear out the driveway.

It all seems like an adventure now.

MC