close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blimp

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ARGEE, Jun 16, 2005.

1. There Was A Goodyr Blimp Crash N Florida 2 On Board No One Hurt
    Dont Have Any Other Details Yet.......

2. here is what i found on the crash.

Goodyear blimp crash-lands in Coral Springs

Sun-Sentinel.com and Associated Press
    Posted June 16 2005, 9:13 PM EDT

A Goodyear blimp crash-landed Thursday near Sample Road and Coral Ridge Drive in an industrial park and the two people aboard were trapped inside while electrical crews cleared the site, authorities said.

The ``Stars & Stripes'' blimp may have gotten tangled in power lines when it went down near Pompano Beach Air Park, where it's based, said Coral Springs police spokesman Mike Moser.

The two people on board weren't injured, said Kathleen Bergen, spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration. FAA investigators were on the scene.

Authorities said bad weather might have forced the blimp down. There were thunderstorms in the area at the time.

The blimp is one of three Goodyear blimps based in the United States. Goodyear leases about 32 acres at the air park as a blimp base, according to the park's Web site.

The other two are the Spirit of Goodyear, based in Akron, Ohio, and the Spirit of America, based in Carson, Calif.

The airship, according to Goodyear, is 192 feet long and 59 feet high. It holds more than 202,000 cubic feet of helium and air. The ship has a maximum speed of 50 mph with a cruising speed of 30 mph. It can carry a pilot and six passengers.

3. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

When the blimp crashed in Suffield a few years back, it got me thinking... Is there any other way you'd like to crash, anything? If I were in a moving passenger vehicle that crashed, the blimp would be my top choice. You hit the ground at like 6 miles an hour. You probably have 5-10 minutes to get your seat belts on! :D

4. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Sam Gibara must have been at the controls as he was when the company crashed!