Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the cleaning station on Saturday several mentioned that they had "bled" their fish. Honest to God, in my 40 years plus of fishing, I've never heard of it, nor seen it done. Can somebody teach an old dog a new trick? :confused:

·
Registered
124 Posts
in north carolina we just cut the tails off and throw them
in the cooler(messy). i have also seen guys rip the gills out

·
Registered
567 Posts
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you just cut the fish at the bottom V next to the gills. This way the blood pumps out of the fish. I just saw a thing on TV about it.

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
Make a cut that is parallel to the fish just between the gills plates in the throat area. Run the tip of your knife all the way to the lower lip. You'll see the blood make a sudden gush...then throw it in a bucket of water until it's finished bleeding (10 mins). You can then either ice it or leave it in the bucket depending on what the temperture is that day.
Hope this helps...!

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
I thought I read on a few older threads on OGF that you can simply cut a few gill rakes with scissors then place the fish in a bucket to bleed out. That seems a lot easier than slicing through and up the throat to the lower jaw bone. Did I misunderstand? I have never bled my fish before as I use a livewell for culling purposes (I am a positive thinker), so bleeding seems too final for me. However, after seeing the difference in cleaning fish bled vs. unbled this past weekend, I may have to rethink things going forward.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
When I bleed out my keepers. I go the simplest way and no mess.
Just put fish on a stringer, reach in the gills with a knife or sissors, sharp object.
Cut a few gills plates and over the side of the boat it goes.( Don't forget to tie the stringer to boat or something).
The fish gives up the ghost in just a few minutes .
Take off the stringer and into the cooler it goes.

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
You don't have to cut thru and bone. You just put about an inch or so of the tip of the knife in between the gills and when you hit the jugular you'll know it. It just takes a second.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The only advantages I see is less mess on the cleaning table and a real white fillet. I have gotten so used to doing it this way when I forget one I really notice the mess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We keep a small trash can with a pop up lid in the boat for the purpose of bleeding out walleye. With fish in hand you simply push a button to open the lid then cut through the gills on one side while holding the fish over the can. Drop em in quick and close the lid. The lid will keep the bloody water from being splashed all over the boat and staining your carpet. Put fresh water in after about every 4 or 5 fish.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
First I heard of this method was LAST YEAR! In re; to Salmon, Trout, & Coho's. They are BLEEDERS. A guy SWEARS by it & said that if you try it once, you'll always do it. He said that instead of letting the fish die off in a cooler by bleeding it the blood does not set up in the meat. Drain off the blood & it will make a difference in the taste.

Well if it works for the Salmon thing why not for the eye's????????????

Ya figure, SHOOT a deer, gut it, bleed it for a better tasting meat. Standard method for chickens, cut throats & stuff em' in a cone type thing to bleed out,

I would think it makes GOOD LOGIC????????????? Gotta give it a try???????

Nik

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
I thought I read on a few older threads on OGF that you can simply cut a few gill rakes with scissors then place the fish in a bucket to bleed out. That seems a lot easier than slicing through and up the throat to the lower jaw bone. Did I misunderstand? I have never bled my fish before as I use a livewell for culling purposes (I am a positive thinker), so bleeding seems too final for me. However, after seeing the difference in cleaning fish bled vs. unbled this past weekend, I may have to rethink things going forward.
Fugarwi,
Either method can be used effectively. Once I decide to keep a fish for the table, it's takes 3-5 seconds to make a 1" long cut in the throat area. I've heard the gill method acheives the same result, I just don't use it as often. ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
i just cut straight through the thin section between the gills on the underside. makes for a lot less mess when you clean them and you don't have to soak them to get the blood out.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
I carry an axe and one good whack does it.:rolleyes: BTW...........don't forget a heavy duty board for the bottom of the boat.:D I have some sheet aluminum for repair if you need it.:)

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I carry an axe and one good whack does it.:rolleyes: BTW...........don't forget a heavy duty board for the bottom of the boat.:D I have some sheet aluminum for repair if you need it.:)
:D :D ROFL!!! I wondered why your boat drafted deeper that the others. :p :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
we used to cut under the gills to bleed our fish, but now we cut their tail off with serrated knife. a friend convinced me that will almost kill the fish instantly, stop the heart from pumping blood and he said if cut the tail off and hang it from stringer and let gravity do its thing. so i said jokingly i might as well cut the throat and tail, kindda like shotgunning a beer can. he did not appreciate my humor to much.

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
This last weekend was the first time I had bled fish. It definitely makes a difference on the cutting board, and I agree the meat is much whiter. Cooked up Monday's filets as soon as I got home and didn't notice much difference in flavor, but I love the taste of walleye anyway. I'll have to try bleeding (the fish) on my next salmon trip this fall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts