Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Yes, I bleed out every fish that I am going to clean and then eat. Mostly cause it makes cleaning them easier. No bloody messes on my cleaning table. And I do think it makes the meat come out more white. JMHO

·
Registered
79 Posts
That pic says it all! Started bleeding walleye last summer...wow, what a difference. We have a bait well that we bleed our walleye in for about ten minutes....or whenever we remember they are still in there.
Never thought about bleeding the perch. Could use a pair of pruning snips and snip that flap of skin at the base of the gills, then into a bucket of water. Would probably make for a lot cleaner cooler at the end of the day!

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
As for bleeding walleye...I have a short rope on each side of the boat with a carabiner tied on...cut a slit in the lower jaw, hook on the carabiner, make a cut behind the gills, up towards the backbone, place them in the water alongside the boat and drag them for 5 minutes before putting them in the cooler.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Buy a large carabiner and sharpen the end that doesn't move and put it on a 6 foot piece of rope. I just used a grinder to put an edge on it. It will push right thru the soft tissue in lower jaw of the fish. We have one on both sides of the boat along with a pair of scissors. Cip the gills and let it bleed. If your getting smaller fish 2 will fit (yeah I will admit we do sometimes get smaller fish). Here is a link to buy them. I got mine for a buck from a dollar store.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Large-Clip-Hook-Aluminum-Carabiner/dp/B0053OEUV8/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1373197195&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=Large+carabiner"]Amazon.com : Large Clip Hook Aluminum Carabiner Red with Soft Grip : Patio, Lawn & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41diGAAi8OL[/ame]

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
while i do bleed every walleye, I take perch to the cleaners. IMO, it would be a huge PIA to bleed every perch especially when it's up and down and I see little benefit.

·
FatMat
206 Posts
As for bleeding walleye...I have a short rope on each side of the boat with a carabiner tied on...cut a slit in the lower jaw, hook on the carabiner, make a cut behind the gills, up towards the backbone, place them in the water alongside the boat and drag them for 5 minutes before putting them in the cooler.
Do it this way and you'll have a whole school of fish following you in no time!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I started bleeding my eyes this year as well. Big difference & will continue. I have a pair of scissors I got at harbor freight but couldn't find a pair of pruners good & cheap enough. Lowe's was like about $15 to $20. But I will keep my eye out when in stores. Haven't bled any perch yet but if I do, I think I will just toss them once cut in a metal panfish basket and hang it off the side of the boat.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I started bleeding my eyes this year as well. Big difference & will continue. I have a pair of scissors I got at harbor freight but couldn't find a pair of pruners good & cheap enough. Lowe's was like about $15 to $20. But I will keep my eye out when in stores. Haven't bled any perch yet but if I do, I think I will just toss them once cut in a metal panfish basket and hang it off the side of the boat.

Been bleeding EVERY fish that I eat for 5/6 years now. Big difference.

I bought a pair of poultry shears for 8.00 $, I use a 14g. Electrical wire secured to my boat & snip the gills, slide the wire in & secure it back. I let the fish drag for 5 min., or so & done.

Like I wrote ALL fish, perch, eyes, salmon, trout, pan.

Look at the pics posted, bloody filets vs white filets.

NIK,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts