Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tom B.
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand it when we catch fish high up on planer boards that don't show up on the fishfinder. Can anyone explain where the fish come from while trolling in 54 f.o.w. with dipseys around 40 feet down and a blank screen on the fishfinder. Are the fish shooting up from 14 feet down to smack those spoons? I can't believe that every single fish is swimming out from under the boat as we troll. But a walleye swimming up 14' to smack a spoon on a slow day doesn't sound believable either.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Most of the doubles and triples I had on this year the screen was blank! However the rods were banging!:B

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
We caught three tickets each day, Saturday and Sunday. Saturday we marked very few fish. Sunday I didn't see a single mark on my sonar.

Transducers shoot a cone shaped signal to the bottom. Depending on the degrees of your transducer, the size of the 'cone' varies. As clear as the water has been, fish most likely are darting out of the range of the transducer to ambush the bait. Also, you'd be surprised at how far to the side a Dipsy on a 3 setting goes.

On certain days, I can see my Dipsys that are set on 0 on my fishfinder.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Im not much of a troller but I think Het is right I think they move away from the boat then come around and start following the lure.I bet they will follow a lure a long way,when I see alot on the finder I pick up junk.My 2cnts

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
Hetfieldinn, is absolutely correct. The fish will come in from the sides after they have scattered before the boat gets over top of them and they will not show up in that conical signal from the transducer.
I've actually seen salmon strike the lure off riggers since you really don't need to run your bait very far from the ball.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,379 Posts
Like Het said on certain days he can see his dipsys, I can see my downrigger ball(s) below the boat. But if you had a dipsy set at 3 trying to achieve the 40 foot depth using 30lb of braided line you need to let at least 110' of line out. That should send your dipsys around a 30-40 degree + or - angle away from your boat. Your transducer cone will not pick your dipsys, or the fish up at the angle.

·
useless poster
8,806 Posts
i think that they are swimming in from outside the cone angle to hit the bait.the boat puts them outside of the cone angle and they come back in to get the bait when using a "0" setting or a downrigger.

·
Tom B.
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all responses so far. I have another question then, assuming fish are present higher up and spooky. Would it work to shut off the motor and drift to see if there are fish present off bottom? Or will they still move away because of the shadow?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts