close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blanchard River smallies

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fear_no_weevil, Sep 7, 2004.

1. i have been catching some nice 2-3 lb smallmouths by wading down the blanchard river using tubes and spinners. it is best to find rocky bottoms in about 2-4 foot of water. i have been fishing the river south of Mt. Blanchard and have caught very many smallies and descent size rock bass. never imagined that the Blanchard held this many fish.

2. That is good to hear. I believe that besides Erie most of the best fishing can be found in the rivers (Maumee, Portage, Blanchard, and Auglaize). It is easier to locate fish than the upground reservoirs and smallies pull like crazy.

Anyone who is interested in swapping holes let me know. I know of a few.

trane

3. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

Hey Fear... i used to live in Mt. Blanchard, never did i think about trying the river there LOL its always choc. brown and smelly :p i fish a pretty neat creek in that area, and never fail to be amazed by what i pull out of it everytime (and nearly everycast) short of giving me the exact loc. of where ur fishing the river there, can u give me a general idea of where i can get access to it (besides off of that bridge on 37)

Thanks
    Paul

4. FABA_Guy24

FABA_Guy24 Bucketmouths Nightmare

Anyone know of any places around the Findlay area that i could wade the blanchard for some smallies?

5. davycrockett

davycrockett Fins Feathers Fur

FABA, I'm not experienced fishing the Blanchard by any means. I do know that there are some deep holes though. You may want to wait until it clears up now and the water level to drop for safety reasons. There is an access to the river on SR235 west of Findlay. Also further west to the county line there is good access. I was once told that the area east of Western Ave. in town was good for crappie. Like I said, I haven't fished the river too much. If you need any more info I'll help if I can. ;)

Dave

6. Try below the dam at the park. Alot of smallies and rock bass there.

7. FABA_Guy24

Can you wade the area below the damn or is that to deep? Ive heard over by Riverbend is a good place to start wading.

8. under normal water conditions you shouldn't have any problems.

9. FABA_Guy24

Im assuming youve done this below the park damn under normal water conditions? ;)

10. I used to fish it after work when I lived in Findlay a few years back. I'd cast road runners and small tubes or small crankbaits. You'll snag a fair share of carp and suckers and catch some bullhead too. I've caught whitebass under the bridge off the highway near the resevoir along with rock bass and smallies. I used to take my then fiance'm there just to catch fish.

11. FABA_Guy24

You talking about down the hill from the resovoir where the pumpstation is?