Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone doing any good verticle jigging or casting blade baits ?
Buckeye, Alum, or Hoover ?
I have mostly jigged Southeast waters this time of year with good results.
Just don't hear much in Central about blades ?

·
Registered
460 Posts
My last trip to Alum, I had ( as usual) already decided the spot I wanted to fish, based on the wind direction and accessibility. When I got there, someone was already fishing that spot. I considered pulling a Sheldon and telling him 'You're in my spot' :ROFLMAO:, but decided against it and started fishing about 20yd from him. Anyway he was casting a spoon and pulling in saugeye and smallmouth every few minutes. Like half a dozen or more an hour, til the bite quit. Meanwhile, I'm using the same type lure and presentation and couldn't buy a bite. Just goes to show, right bait + right time + right place = fish. Blade baits will sure catch the fish, if the fish bite them ;).

·
Registered
17 Posts
My last trip to Alum, I had ( as usual) already decided the spot I wanted to fish, based on the wind direction and accessibility. When I got there, someone was already fishing that spot. I considered pulling a Sheldon and telling him 'You're in my spot' :ROFLMAO:, but decided against it and started fishing about 20yd from him. Anyway he was casting a spoon and pulling in saugeye and smallmouth every few minutes. Like half a dozen or more an hour, til the bite quit. Meanwhile, I'm using the same type lure and presentation and couldn't buy a bite. Just goes to show, right bait + right time + right place = fish. Blade baits will sure catch the fish, if the fish bite them ;).
Ya you used the same presentation with same lure but was it the same angle or last time you were there did you cuss out the lake or talk bad about her since?

·
Registered
460 Posts
My late father always said I wasn't holding my mouth right when something like that happened. Actuallty, the spot I had picked out has a steep drop-off running almost perpendicular to the bank and he was casting right along the drop-off. He said he was casting into the deeper side and coming up to the shallower water, and they would hit in the shallower water, but only when he started in the deeper water. So, I mostly fished the deeper side, with the gradual slope to shore. I tried the shallower side also, but not for long. I really think the drop-off was key.

Reactions: Fish4Dale

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really should cast the vibee a lot more than I do. I usually get locked more into the vertical jigging with the blades.
But I do remember a few years back, Having some pretty good luck casting them out and hopping them back to the boat.
Nice flat next to some deeper water.

·
Registered
373 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts