Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love fishin in the fall. Spoons and blade baits really come into their own.
However......
I have endless problems with my blade baits getting tangled on my line, either on the main line or snap when I'm vertically jigging. Usually one of the rear hooks catch on the line or snap. I use 8lb. trilene.

What setups do you guys use and do you have the same issue?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I have the same problem. I found it got hung up less with the bigger snap. Thought it would be the other way around.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
Guys i learned this last spring. When vertical jigging the blade baits a heavy leader stopped my line from tangeling on the hooks. I was fishing dingy water and at nite so the heavier line did nothing but good. Oh and the heavy line was mono. The reason this worked so well is cause of the stiffness of the line prevented it from snagging the hook when the bait hit bottem. The leader also helped with twisted line when vertical jigging(witch got super bad before i had a leader with a barrel swivel 12-28 inches away from the bait.
Give it a shot guys i was shocked at how well this worked!!!!
Bobby
Oh and let me know if i explained this to where u can understand it! And remember a snap from line to bait is also a must with blaid baits or a split ring
And when i say heavier i mean like 20lb mono

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You guys are the best....I have some 14lb floro at home..... I'll be on the lake Sat. barring any catastrophies, I'll let you know how it works for me.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
Big joshy, Great info on the florocarbon! Very stiff stuff. And lacdown,there were time this spring when the fish wanted it dropped really fast with a thud on the bottem so the slack line was almost a must. Thats what helped come up with the stiffer leader idea.
Bobby

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
try a 14lb florocarbon leader, very abrasion resistand and very stiff as mentioned before, no more tangles.
Ditto. Great advice. I happen to use 15 lb pro grade trilene flouro. Also, the heavier line allows it to fall slower and you can usually get snags out. Just have to straighten the hook out afterwards!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just for the record.......I strapped on a 20lb floro leader and it worked like a charm, thankfully. That was the hot ticket for me on Sat.
Thanks for the advise!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts