Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
cant believe its been that long. I remember i was shooting Clay targets at the Grand American in Vandalia that week. We still had power there, must have been just outside the outage area

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
I had just flew into LaGuardia and took a rental through Manhattan and the Lincoln Tunnel on my way to Piscataway. Stopped at the NJ turnpike rest area to eat and then to my hotel in Piscataway. I walk in to the front desk to check in and everyone is staring at the TV.
they said the electric was out in NYC and all over to Ohio. Piscataway and south had electric. Never lost it.
I did have to drive the rental back to Akron Canton airport a couple days later to get my car as all the airports were closed.

Thank god I got out of Manhattan and the tunnel before it went out.

·
Banned
607 Posts
It would be called the "8-14-20 Free For All", and might be pandemonium in today's environment. I remember it was hot, much like this year and all we could hear, sitting on the deck was the hum of portable generators, wishing we had one. At least all those folks were cool we imagined.
I was working in the slag sales yard at the steel mill in Lorain at the time of the blackout. The blast furnace was roaring with no way to cool it down without power. They thought it was going to melt down but got it under control.
Weird time for sure! We have since remedied the home generator thing, at least as long as we have propane.

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,199 Posts
I thought the same - Man time flies!

Was out fishing all day, picked up a bud in the afternoon. He said the power went out.
Came back in and had to beg for food at Whiskey Island - we were starving.
Best they could do was some wings on the grill, lol.
Spent the night there trying to find a girl with the cutest Brit accent.
Couldn't find her in the dark!
Drove home at 2 or 3 am. Downtown was like a ghost town, no traffic, no lights, tons of stars,
weird.

A few days later, we were mountain biking some illegal trails. Found a huge oak that burned to the ground - it had shorted out the high tension lines down in the valley by Sagamore Creek.
We always wondered if that was what started it all.

·
The Eagle Has Landed
147 Posts
I was a dispatcher for FirstEnergy in Youngstown, Ohio that day. I worked 6:30 am to 2:30 pm. I got home and was relaxing in my pool when my neighbor yelled over and said their was a power outage, and I said yea it happens all the time, needless did I know that it was most of northeast quadrant of the U.S. Didn't affect the Youngstown area, but it was hot as heck that day and one of our 345 KV lines sagged into some trees, which started the cascading outages.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yea, I remember it. Didn't affect me much. Lost electric for a few hours

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,844 Posts
I remember it well. I was working outside sales for a fine wine wholesaler, and my route that day was in the far eastern suburbs of Cleveland. Chagrin Falls, Bainbridge, Chesterland, that area. That's out away from downtown and it was pure hell getting out of there! I can't imagine what it was like for people in the downtown area. We had these "palm pilot" type devices that we were supposed to phone our orders in to the computer. Well, there was no phone service. There was no nothing. Especially traffic signals. Goofy folks didn't know how to handle them, but I have to admit blowing through a red light on SR 306 right after the power went out.

I realized what I had done immediately afterward, and also realized that the radio had stopped playing. Then their generators kicked in and they started telling us what was going on. As I recall it was around 3:00 in the afternoon. With no power anywhere there was no sense in trying to call on more customer, so I headed for home in the Youngstown area. It was a struggle until I hit Parkman on SR 422. The power was still on there, and all the way to home! The news that night explained that our power came from the south, from a plant on the Ohio River that was not part of the grid that failed.

Turns out the failure got started very close to Cleveland, in fact not far from the wholesaler I worked for that was located in Independence. Our manager took us to lunch some time later and drove past the site where it started. I remember hearing an explanation that the power lines "sagged" into the treetops, but that was BS. The power company wasn't keeping their power line rights of way cleaned up, and let the trees grow until they got into the lines!

When we went past it, that right of way had been denuded of foliage! There wasn't a thing left growing out there! In fact, I met a guy who worked for a company who did that kind of thing, and they got hired to clear in the Cleveland area. He is a big deer hunter, and said he never saw such incredible bucks as what they booted out of those power line rights of way!

Reactions: 21938 and Redheads

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I had just flew into LaGuardia and took a rental through Manhattan and the Lincoln Tunnel on my way to Piscataway. Stopped at the NJ turnpike rest area to eat and then to my hotel in Piscataway. I walk in to the front desk to check in and everyone is staring at the TV.
they said the electric was out in NYC and all over to Ohio. Piscataway and south had electric. Never lost it.
I did have to drive the rental back to Akron Canton airport a couple days later to get my car as all the airports were closed.

Thank god I got out of Manhattan and the tunnel before it went out.
Air Tran? I used to take them out of CAK often to that little dump of an airport LaGuardia. I loved that airliner. Cheap, comfy and clean. Would take it to NYC and fort liquordale frequently for years.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Continental. They charged like $1200 to fly to Newark from Cleveland as both were hubs. Only charged $300 to go to LaGuardia but you had to drive through Manhattan to get to New Jersey. The worst part was trying to get back through Manhattan to LaGuardia to make your flight.
I don’t miss flying anymore. It’s a PIA since 2001. This covid BS shut down all flying anymore. That’s one positive that came out of this virus crap.

·
Banned
607 Posts
Yep, the whole deal made you think about how much we rely on electricity. We didn't miss the tube at all but having a well pump meant no water. My wife filled up 5 gal. pails at her place of business for flushing our toilets. Having propane meant we could lite the stove with a match and cook and make coffee(ahhh). We were out many days and had to eat or pitch many things in the fridge/freezer. Had to drink my beer warm, which I still enjoy today!
The large power lines near us were cleared shortly thereafter of any tree that had a chance of falling near the lines.
Crazy time, hope it never happens again.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Continental. They charged like $1200 to fly to Newark from Cleveland as both were hubs. Only charged $300 to go to LaGuardia but you had to drive through Manhattan to get to New Jersey. The worst part was trying to get back through Manhattan to LaGuardia to make your flight.
I don’t miss flying anymore. It’s a PIA since 2001. This covid BS shut down all flying anymore. That’s one positive that came out of this virus crap.
Still pricey. I remember when air tran hit the scene. $99 r/t to NYC or ft liquordale. I don't think in the years I was making those trips I never paid more than $180. I still like flying. I'll pretty much only do delta on domestics.

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,199 Posts
Buckeye Bowman - I know the area your talking about. Never got maintained. After the outage, they clear-cut the heck out of everything. Including the section where we saw the burned up giant oak.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,844 Posts
The next morning I tried to call my office and no go, so I tried my manager's cell. Also no go, but I kept trying. Finally I got through and asked him what the power situation was. He said the power would come back on occasionally for a few minutes, then go right back out. Cell service was the same. I told him if the traffic signals weren't working I had no intention of coming up. He told me to stay home. Everything was closed, and even if they were open we had no ability to receive orders or print invoices. I went golfing.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I remember being out at our summer cottage in Ashtabula. We still had power there. We could always get Canadian TV stations. The Canadian news headline was about how US officials claimed it began in Canada, but the Canadians were calling BS!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Lucky I was working from home when it happened. As the blackout grew longer through the night and I could find no downed trees/branches with the small electric grid we were on I figured it might be a long one. I had a hand crank radio and listened to reports on the news and they were not good.

Headed to Costco before opening and my neighbor showed up minutes later to join me.

We were able to grab two of the last few brand name 7.5 kw genators (with
I believe had Honda or Kowasaki engines) and were good to go.

Sold the genny when we downsized and sold the house 10 or so years ago then purchased a small 3.5 kw unit from Tractor Supply which has servered us well since then (put in a transfer switch also).

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Unless you get a inverter type generator, I read that the dirty electricity (not a true sinew waver) coming out of cheap generators can sensitive damage electronics, computers, anything with a microprocessor, like a modern refrigerator, microwave, TV, etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts