close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Black Tree Rat

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by bank runner, Sep 18, 2017.

1. That's all I have in my neighborhood now. It's amazing. In a couple of years it went from all Fox Squirrels to the black kind.

2. Started in Kent OH from some Canadians squirrels and has spread throughout NE Ohio.

stormfront likes this.
  3. We have them here in Medina.

4. Taylorsville Park in Montgomery county as well, right where you can't hunt, go figure!

Saugeye Tom likes this.
  5. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

Yep, professor brought them back. They are actually just a color phase of the fox squirrel. Their range is rapidly expanding. They are all over the place now.

I used to think fox squirrels were greys because of what I saw on a deer hunt in NY state. We hunted in Steuben Co. which borders Potter Co. PA. If you've ever been to Potter Co, you know there's a whole lot of "great big empty" up there! Same with Steuben Co. Big hills with big, old forests on them.

There were squirrels up there that looked like they were the size of full grown foxes racing through the tree tops! I don't know if there's a distinct sub-species up there, but those things were spectacular!

6. Ant

Ant

I want a white and black squirrel mounted on a log like they are chasing each other.

7. my yard went from majority fox sqrls then a lot of greys now the black sqrls

8. Steve Kasper

Steve Kasper Ohio1

No, Black squirrels are a phase of GREY squirrels, not Fox!

9. according to wikipedia....it is a color phase of both !
    true or not ?????

10. everything I've read say grey squirrels have the black phase

11. Steve Kasper

Steve Kasper Ohio1

Yes, Look at their size.......same as greys, smaller than Fox!

12. That's all there is in Mirkwood. The giant spiders come next.

13. Berne Indiana is full of them too it seems you only see them in towns never seen one out in the country woods I haven't anyway down here in S.E. part of the state

14. Muddy

Muddy

All of the black squirrels that I have seen are a color phase of a grey squirrel.

Saugeye Tom likes this.
  15. I am in Tusc county outside of Dover.I,ve got a black one with a white tipped tail