close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Black river?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by bugman, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Anyone fish the Black river for Smallies? I have a 13' with a 5.5 hp & a 55# tolling motor that I would like to fish the Black with. Any info on where to launch and fish would be appriciated.

2. steelheadBob

steelheadBob Robs Guide Service

Hey bugman, i really dont know were to launch, but i can tell you dont eat the fish or stand in the water for more than a couple of seconds. Your skin will never feel the same. We went wading there sometime ago and when we got out our skin had this yellowish tint to it and it got really dry. Took about a week to get back to normal.
    There is a bait store on 611 just south of lake road. He might no where to launch.
    I think thats the only river i ever seen growths on carp!

3. you can put in at the main launch ramp off of 14th street in lorain. youll be able to take your boat all the way to 31st street. thats just about at the park entrance. the water isnt as bad as people say it is. ive fished there since i was a kid. it used to be aweful but its ok now. i dont think id eat anything out of there. by the way the smallmouth fishing is excellent in the black.

4. Spent a day on the Black two years ago. I would lean toward the Rocky or Vermilion before I would do the Black again. Just an opinion.

5. mikie_fin

mikie_fin Ohio & California

My brother-in-law wades it quite often, but not that far north. He fishes south of the east 31st street bridge all the way to Cascade park in Elyria. He has caught smallies, LM bass, rock bass, & steelies.

6. i used to wade the black from 31st to burr oak park. ( the other end of the park) great smallmouth fishing.