Black River Fun

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by faceman9, Aug 15, 2008.

1. faceman9

faceman9 Smallie addict

Headed out with a buddy for a little river fishing after work. Love this time of the year when the river is low and you can walk it. started casting my favorite tube looking for a the hits like last week (30 smallmouth, all between 10-14) within 2 hours, that was a fun night. Anyways, Favorite tube was not working, finally nab a 8 incher and he cough up a shiner as I reached down to pick him up, changed over to a floating Rapala shiner and hit the mother load in my favorite hole. Pulled in about ten 14 inchers before this 16 incher hit hard.
    Two cast later this 19 incher chopped down, what a good time when fishing ultra light. hope the weather stays the way it is.

Attached Files:

2. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

just curious as to whereabouts, in general, you like to fish. the areas i have hit give up fish but they are much smaller than that. 7 to 8 inches average i think. it would be nice to find an area with larger fish and more variety.

not lookin to snag any secret spots here. just a general direction to head.

3. i havent been to the spot in a looooong time but i used to fish the stretch of river between fuller rd. and the fourth st.bridge by the hospital. never anything over 15 inches but man was it fun and a lot of them.

4. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

ill have to give that a try. the spots i usually fish get very shallow when the water drops so even though they are holes, theres not much in them and its hard to fish.

5. if you go to the lorain side of the metroparks and wade north you'll hit some deeper water. if you go far enough you'll hit about 30 ft of water near the steel mill. :p

6. faceman9

faceman9 Smallie addict

The park is called Days Dam which sets on 31st street in Lorain. This is part of the Lorain county metro parks and connects with Burr Oak park in Elyria. You can pull in to either one of the parks and just start walking the river, thats whats so nice about this time of the year. When the river is low you can see the holes where the fish are hanging out. "Tip Of The Day", from what I have found anyways, this time of the year alot of the smallmouth like to hang out where the water is moving at a good pace, rapids, falls, etc... I don't fishing big holes where the water slows down and nothing is moving.
    As for shallow water, that 19 incher below was sitting in one foot of water facing the rapids just waiting for food to come to him. If you are a river fisherman, its real easy to see where they are at if you go by this rule, it also makes it alot of fun when you hook one and they take off in the rapids, you really have to play them out, unless you're using a bass rod with bigger line. I use a Berkley lighting stike rod with a Shimano Micro reel, and 4 lbs spiderwire, helps get the snags out.
    I went down on Saturday from about 2-5 in the afternoon, knowing that there wasn't going to be much of a bite during the middle of the day, but wanted to just out some other spots that I had not had the time to go too yet this year, some of the holes have changed from the winter flow but all are still there, nab 9 total with the biggest being 10 inches (have a pic, just not uploaded yet), good day, had fun. Took my daughter down last night, we each caught 4, all of them about 12-14 inchers, off of floating Rapala shads, because that was the only thing they are eating, the shads were all over, I was standing in about 4 inches of water and had 3 inch shad by the hundreds all around my feet, even saw a 8 inch smallmouth come up to a foot away from me to get one. alot of casting with so much bait fish swimming around, and the fish are getting fat. had one that had his belly full to the touch and and had the tail of another in his throat and still hit mine.
    Hope everyone the best and have fun on the water. I'm and catch and release type of guy, thats the way I roll, Later.

7. Great Post Faceman......

Sounds like alot of what we have done this summer on the Rocky as well...

Thank you for the pics as well...

Frank

8. faceman9

faceman9 Smallie addict

I like to hit the rocky and vermillon but have not had the opportunity yet this summer, I've had alot of success at both of them too. It makes it difficult to head 40 min away (to the waters edge) when I have the black almost in my backyard, but I do make trips here and there. Like Rocky river for steelhead, but then again I pulled in a 32" steel this past winter, again out of the black. No, I didn"t just say that did I. Pay no attention to the babble, you didn't read that. Summer is the fun time, talked to a guy walking out of the park on Sunday, said he got 4 white bass and 2 sheephead for those who are interested. Pound for Pound, smallies rule. If I can take my kids (14,13,5 all girls) down and put them on fish and see the smile on their face and ask me when the next time we can go is, thats a good day. Take a kid fishing and you will always have something in common. Keep the lines tight.

9. faceman9

faceman9 Smallie addict

Theres a pic of the 10 incher from Saturdays walk in the park, not monster but, put up a fun fight. What a good looking fish. Here fishy fishy, doesn't that lure just look tasty to eat.

Attached Files:

10. the one thing i loved about fishing the black river was you didnt know how big your fish was til you seen it. the little ones fight like 3 lb. largemouth :p

11. faceman9

faceman9 Smallie addict

Typical spot to look for on the river, good flow water, rapids leading into a hole, pulled two from this spot here. how can you argue fishing area like this in the middle of the day.

Attached Files:

12. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

Thats just getting me all excited to head out that way again. I dont get out there as much as Id like being that its farther from me than say the hoga or the rock. I have enjoyed the seclusion though being out there. It always seems like its more relaxed, and less pressured, when i go there. Of the few times I have been on the black river, I have yet to see another fisherman. Perhaps Im just lucky.

13. faceman9

faceman9 Smallie addict

Yeah that spot is a good one, just one of many.

14. faceman9

faceman9 Smallie addict

Well, I'm starting to see a few more folks on the river fishing, stop and talked with a guy walking his dogs as I was heading down, he was curious as to what I was fishing for and if I did any good, ended up talking for 15 minutes.
    I must of been down about 10 more times with buddies and my kids but have left the camera at home each time, so my wife took the older girls shopping and I took my 5 year down to the river for Daddy /Daugther time, we had a blast, end up catching about 14 smallies and one that I am not sure of (any one tell me what the silver fish is). So, here are some pics of our catch, she reeled in four of them, (the first one is one of hers). By the way, all of the pictures were taken by my 5 year old.

Attached Files:

15. faceman9

faceman9 Smallie addict

Oh, by the way, caught everything on white 1/8 roostertail, including a 3in smallies that my daughter got.
    Taking your kid fishing $0
    First cast, first hole, first fish $0
    Walking out of the park and having three deer walk across the path in front of you 10 feet away and being able to stand there and watch them $0
    Having your daughter say that was fun, your the best Dad ever and I love you. PRICELESS.

16. YEP!!!! by the way that last fish is a sheep head. youll find alot of them down there til it starts getting cold. caught any gobys out of that hole yet???? :)

17. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

i hit the black river today after not having been down there for about two months and let me just say, man has it changed. the water was much lower than anytime that i have ever been there. there were a ton of new downed trees and large collections of washed out debris. the few large rainstorms we have did a hell of a number on the river. there used to be this huge tree that i would stand on and cast into a hole from, and it was nowhere to be found. it was amazing to see areas that used to hold water now completely filled in and super high with sand dunes and shale.

i found a great spot of rapids east of the ford rd bridge, farther than i have ventured before, nearish to the golf course, and just destroyed the smallies there. fast water leading to a semi deep hole. i think on every 4th or 5th cast they were hitting. teeny little guys, 8 to 9 inchers, and one monstrous 14 incher that felt like an alligator pulling. i pulled in 10 total, all released. of course im standing in the middle of the water when the biggun hit and was too lazy to get my camera. figures.

anyways, thanks for reading. today was the best day of fishing i have had yet this year. exciting and fun, except for the family of loud jackasses that decided to fish near me further downstream. they had absolutely no idea what they were doing and were so loud that its no wonder they didnt catch anything. i just had to laugh.

ill be heading back this saturday for more of that goodness.

18. anyways, thanks for reading. today was the best day of fishing i have had yet this year. exciting and fun, except for the family of loud jackasses that decided to fish near me further downstream. they had absolutely no idea what they were doing and were so loud that its no wonder they didnt catch anything. i just had to laugh.

it doesnt matter where you go anymore you cant avoid them. :( :p

19. faceman9

faceman9 Smallie addict

Yanky, glad to see that you made it out this way and glad to hear you caught some fish which always makes a it better when you have to drive alittle further.
    I went to vermilion on Sunday and fished the Mill Hollow park area, be that it was the middle of the day I did manage to get about 10 smallies, all about 8-10 inchers, had fun but no real good holes.

Anyways, just got back from fishing the Black again, (normal spot). Not sure why, but decide to take the bigger pole and my ultralite rig, headed up river and stop at a couple of shallow low flow areas and caught 6 crayfish before going to the big hole pasted the bend, started throwing the shad rapala but the water was murky and nothing was hitting, probably because they couldn't see it. So, I set up the big pole with just a hook and bobber, (no sinker) and ran the hook through the back of the crayfish, tossed it out by the drop off and let the current take it, OMG, the first one I through out drifted about 20' in the hole and then went down, I'm thinking smallmouth, reeled in the slack then set the hook, and away we go, 5 minutes later up come a 24 inch bullhead cat, (measured). Did the same thing with the next 5 crayfish and ended up getting 4 bullhead cats with the smallest being 20 inches, and released all. Now, I love fishing smallmouth and was hoping to hook into a good size one tonight with the big pole in the big hole, but I have to say, those cats were a blast to catch. Now with no crayfish left and starting to get a little darker I thought it was time to go. walked back down river to cross but thought I still have time to fish the smaller hole, being that it is a shallower hole it was not as murky. Walked over to my normal spot and started throwing the shad rapala again out into the back of the hole and through the rapids but again nothing was hitting, Change up, started throwing up to the front of the hole right where the water come over the rocks and BINGO, guess where the smallies are. First one 16 incher, caught 5 more after that, all between 12-16". I didn't want to leave but the last cast broke the lip on my rapala and that was the end of that. What a good night, I think I'm going to start taking both poles from now on. Thanks for reading
    Yanky, thinking about going down on Saturday too, let me know when your going if you want some company. Have fun eveyone, sorry that I did't take the camera tonight.

20. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

while reading your post i was just thinking that some company and mutual share-age of holes would be cool. i am takin a buddy of mine on saturday who has been so busy this year that he hasnt been able to do much, if any, fishing at all. im not sure if were doing the morning or evening (my preference) so i will let you know as we get it planned. i dont usually head the way that you normally fish so id love to see the area.