close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Black Bears are Out There!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Big Daddy, May 12, 2004.

1. Watch out gang! They're looking for, well, uh, it is Spring you know....

BLACK BEAR MOVEMENT TO INCREASE FOR A SHORT TIME

Territorial dispersal of bear increases chances of sightings

AKRON, OH - Black bear sightings in the Buckeye State may become more common throughout the months of May, June, and July, but residents need not worry, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife.

Now is the time of year when young male black bears disperse in an attempt to find their own territory. These young males are capable of traveling well over 100 miles from their birthplace which may be in Pennsylvania or West Virginia where sizeable bear populations exist. Increased sightings by humans in both urban and non-urban areas are possible. "Wandering black bears pose little if any threat to residents of Ohio if a few simple rules are followed," says Damon Greer, Wildlife Biologist for the Division of Wildlife.

Enjoy and respect black bears from a distance. Even with their large size, black bears are secretive, seldom seem animals which are usually only active in the late evening and early morning hours. If a black bear is encountered in your yard, watch the animal from a distance but do not approach.

Do not feed wandering black bears. Bears are opportunistic feeders and will eat just about anything from natural foods like nuts and berries and carrion to pet foods, garbage and bee hives. Feeding black bears will cause them to hang around longer and become a nuisance. Young black bears which learn to associate food with people are destined to get themselves into trouble. Bird feeders, grills, bowls of pet food, and garbage cans should be secured out of reach of bears.

Report black bear sightings to your local County Wildlife Officer or Wildlife District Office. Take pictures of bears, tracks or scat. Report any nuisance activity or damage caused by a marauding black bear.

For more information or if you have spotted a bear, contact the District Three ODNR Division of Wildlife or 1-800-WILDLIFE

2. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

I think this is RACIST! The evil, biased news media only reports on BLACK bears! Why do we never hear any reports on white bears or Latino bears?:rolleyes::p

3. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

LOL WD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great story thought big daddy :)

4. catking

catking Banned

If you are fishing up north, and come across a blacky, chances are it's trouble. Bears will shy from people in a heart beat. But sometimes 2-3 year old males want to show off to their brothes/sisters. Alot of people have been killed from a result of this. Black bears, unlike the grizzlys, will attack and EAT you, while the grizz will maul you, and try and bury you for later comsumption :eek: CATKING :)

5. yeah they have my respect, a few years back i was hiking with my dad in shenandoah ntnl park in virginia when we rounded a bend in a trail and came right up on one in a tree. we couldn't see it but they tree was shaking. we shouted and made noise so we wouldn't suprise it and all we see is this huge black head peer out and stare us down. we slowly back off and he went back to doing whatever he was doing. we turned our backs and began walking away and all the sudden it sounded like a plane crashed in the woods.....the limb the bear was on broke and he fell out of the tree. we turned around, he stood up on both legs, shook his head, took 2 steps towards us, we ran like H*ll, and he turned and ran the other way. i always prided myself on knowledge on wildlife and all that and i know the wost thing to do it run from a bear, but that is something a little easier to say seeing one in a car or on tv. definitely something i will always remember.

6. catking

catking Banned

I hear that mojo- sometimes your brain locks up :D Anyhow, for those that don't know how fast a big bear can run, say a full grown grizzly, if you put them on a race track with the horses, the can run the horses down :eek: That is some serious speed.CATKING

7. I was fishing in Colorado a few years back and a park ranger told me how to tell whether a bear is a black bear or a grizzly. He said to climb a tree. If the bear climbs up after you, it's a black bear. If it pushes the tree over, it's a grizzly.. :D

8. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Me and Misfit was fishing in Eastern Ohio when we spotted a black bear.

I immediately took off my boots.

Misfit asked me why and I told him so I could run faster.

He said you dummy they can run faster than a horse and even without your boots you can't run faster than the bear.

I told him I didn't have to run faster than the bear---just faster than him! :D

9. Katfish

That spounds like my buddies on a Canadian Fishing trip.......a wolf kept watching them as they were fishing from the bank.

They started walking back to the boat and the wolf kept following and picking up his pace. One them pulled out his filet knife, the other guy said, you can't be serious and think you can kill that thing with a knife.

Answer: No, I'll kill you and while he's eating you I'll get to the boat.

They got to the boat OK, but the darn wolf came right up to the bank as they pushed off.

They said he didn't act mean, just curious.