close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Black Bear Found Dead

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Big Daddy, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Hit by a car... Here's the release from the Division of Wildlife

ROAD-KILLED BLACK BEAR FOUND IN COLUMBIANA COUNTY

Male black bear discovered on State Route 45 near State Route 11

AKRON, OH – A young, male black bear estimated by wildlife officials to weigh about 160-pounds was discovered in a roadside ditch by a Columbiana County resident last Thursday. It’s believed the bear was struck by a vehicle while traveling across State Route 45 according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife. The bear will be preserved by a professional taxidermist and used for educational programs and displays throughout northeast Ohio.

“Many folks may jump to conclusions and assume that this is the same bear that has attracted so much attention in the media recently,” said Scott Peters, wildlife management supervisor in northeast Ohio. “While it could be the same bear, it is really tough to say. We have several young bears traveling throughout northeast Ohio right now so we may never know for sure,” Peters noted.

During the months of May, June, and July, young male black bears disperse to find their own territory. “Yearling dispersal” occurs when an adult female bear (referred to as a sow) boots her one and a half year-old cub out of the family unit so she can breed and raise a new litter of cubs. Young females have smaller ranges and seldom venture as far as males to establish territories.

In 2006, approximately 22 different black bears were confirmed in Ohio according to the Division of Wildlife. The Division of Wildlife estimates the Buckeye bear population at somewhere around 50 to 60 black bears living in the state year round. During 2006, a total of 113 reported sightings of black bears occurred in 20 Ohio counties. Most sightings occurred in northeast and southeast Ohio. In northeast Ohio, a total of 76 sightings were reported in12 counties. Ashtabula led the state with 44 sightings followed by Geauga (19 sightings) and Trumbull (13 sightings) counties.

Efforts to monitor the Ohio black bear have been supported by the Wildlife Diversity and Endangered Species fund, which receives donations from Ohioans through the state income tax check-off program and by the purchase of cardinal license plates.

The black bear is protected by state law. For more about Ohio’s wildlife diversity, visit the Division’s web page at www.wildohio.com The public is encourage to report sightings of black bears in Ohio. Pictures and video readily accepted as well. Contact Wildlife District Three in Akron for more information.

2. That sucks that he was killed. I do have to say though I would probably pass out if I seen a bear in the middle of the road and hit a tree or something!

3. I did not hit it, although I have not checked my wife's car yet. We sure have a lot happening in Columbiana County.