close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bittersweet success!

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by Kaiser878, Nov 11, 2008.

1. I never got around to posting it on here, but here is the write up of the deer I shot on Friday, oct 31st!

Well boys lady luck was with me this morning. I settled in the stand at about 0645. At first light when most deer movement occurs at what I have started to call "The Buck" stand, there was nothing. I became slightly discouraged. At 8 o'clock I looked over my left shoulder and looky looky what I see, Mr. Ten Point. Thats right, the same one who gave me the slip two tuesdays ago due to a branch. I stood up, grabbed my bow and got situated. He was on the same trail I normally see the does crossing over into the bedding area on. I knew if he continued to travel that route he would be at 15 yards behind my stand and in the wide open. Well he opted to take a little wider route and ended up at 25 yards. I had a decent opening, but not what I wanted to shoot through. I thought he was gongi to angle another way into a larger opening, well he didnt do that either. He ended up gonig into the thickest area around my stand. He was at 25 yards and I was franticly looking to find a hole I could squeeze an arrow through. I was kicking myself for not taking the shot when I had it earlier. Suddenly I saw a softball sized hole and drew back. He stepped in it, I grunted and wouldnt ya know, he stopped perfect in it. I settled my 20 yard pin a bit high and let her fly. I couldnt believe it, the arrow slipped through the opening and center punched the Deer I have named the "Lucky Ten."

As soon as the arrow hit he took off, at the time I didnt know I had center punched him. The funny thing was he didnt really run hard, he just kinda trotted off. He stopped at about 40 yards and looked back. All I could see was his head turning and looknig back. About 10 seconds later he took off sideways and piled up. I coulndt believe it. The deer I have velvet pictures of from 3 months ago, the deer I missed due to a branch over a week ago, and most importantly the deer i have been losing sleep over is now dead and in my hands. Its almost a bitter sweet ending to such a dramatic and stressful story to this years hunting adventures. When I got up to him and I sat down to reflect as I mostly do with my bucks and I was almost to the breaking point. This is probably the most emotional deer harvest I have ever made. So I guess now I sohuld probably show him to you huh??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

Awesome Deer
    And a great tale to go along with it

3. BigSteve

BigSteve Member

Awesome buck man, great job.

4. That is a great buck! Congrats man!

I have a trail cam pick of a big 11 point from back in August. We are yet to see him this year. Don't know if someone got him or if he is totally nocturnal. I guess the best shot to see him will be this weekend with some predicting it being the peak of the rut.

What county did you take that HOG in?

5. fisherman33

fisherman33 KatfishKoch33

6. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Very, very nice.

7. Snook

Snook Eat-Fish-Hunt

Nice buck! You will always remember the story behind it all. You were fortunate to get a second chance at him. The problem with getting him is that now the "story" is over. But for you it has a happy ending! Congrats!

8. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

Heck of a buck and a great story to go with it.

9. Beautiful Buck and great story, Congrats!!!

10. Nice buck, good story. 20yrs from now you'll still remember it.

11. Bnichs

Bnichs ...

That is a beautiful buck...

Congrats.

12. Thats a beautiful buck. I'd be telling that story to all of my buddies!