close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bios Motherboard help

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by fishintiger, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Most of you have read my other thread about the memory conflict I had going on. Well I broke down and bought a new gig of memory from New Egg. I was excited yesterday when it finally came in the mail. Well I dropped it into the slot and booted up. Nothing happened. I noticed it wasn't seated all the way so I reseated it and booted up. I got an error that the memory stick in the slot was too big for the motherboard. Specs on the motherboard say I have a 1 gig max but it must be 2 512 sticks. Before I send the memory back to New Egg is there anything I can do such as update the Bios or anything to beable to use the 1 gig stick? Thanks guys.

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

you know i'm definitely no geek,so i might be thinking wrong here.but the way i understand it is each slot will only accept 512 max,which means you need two 512's to get the gig.my board is the same as far as capacity,and i just kinda assumed that's the only way to get a full gig.

3. marsh

marsh atwood amateur

check for a bios update, but other than that, send it back

4. If the Bios says it can't address a mem stick that size, even a bios update won't help because the mother board memory controller isn't designed for it.

Can you give me more specs on your PC/Motherboard/Bios version?

5. My pc is a 6 year old Compaq Presario 6000. The mobo is a Compaq 07DOH. Bios version is 686Y4 v.3.05 I believe.

Sounds like I just need to send back the memory. I just hate paying the 15% restocking fee. :( Thanks for everyone's help though.

6. 1sick1

1sick1 One more cast ?

Fishintiger.....

I have a presario myself (albeit a newer version) and am running two 1 gig sticks in it. Do you have another comp you can check the stick in ? I have gotten bad mem before.....might save you that 15% restock.

7. I don't think it was a bad stick. I'm pretty sure that it was just too big for the motherboard. A buddy of mine had 2 512's he gave me and I've already sent back the 1 gig. I guess that's what I get for not doing my homework before buying something. :(

8. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Just another thought, make sure when you order your 2 512mb sticks that they are the correct type of ram also. If you try to install the wrong type ram, the 'puter won't work either.

Google your motherboard and get the specs and you'll save a lot of time and headaches.

Newegg and Tigerdirect are the two that I order from, great service from both and good shipping times.