Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I had a couple questions on some rattle traps. I have always thrown the Bill Lewis brand but recently I ran into bass pro and saw the Rapala's on sale for a buck something. I decided to pick a few up and see what I could do. I have tried the BPS version of the rattle trap and had no luck. Up until recently I had never caught a fish on a rattle trap and that ended up being on the Bill Lewis. Are there much differences between the two brands? I mean if I can save a few bucks on the traps thats great, kind of gets expensive when you buy 15-20 of 'em a month. I bought the same colors as I would use on the Bill Lewis brands. All the help would be greatly appreciated. Most of the lures I have donated to my wifes no hobby FISHING. So basically i need her to catch some fish.

Jake

·
Akron
2,421 Posts
I love the Rattlin Rap. I catch way more than my fair share of fish on it. I love the 3/8 oz size which is not even available in most rattle baits. I have found though that the 3/8 works great till mid summer, then the 1/2 oz is what they want. The Bill Lewis have always had terrible hooks on them. They have upgraded the hooks this year.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. I'm not sure what sizes I bought exactly I pretty much have a variety now. I know I bought most of the smaller sizes, not sure exactly what the weight is. I mainly fish in small creeks and small rivers and this was the only size that the fish would chase. I'll have to make sure to get back out to BPS and get some of the larger sizes for the warmer weather.

·
Master of Nothing
936 Posts
I have had more luck with the Bass Pro Rattling Traps than with either the Bill Lewis or Rapala. The one thing that I do not like about the Rapala version is that the cover or detail of the lure is like heat wrapped on. They tend to peel off after casting and reeling through cover. The Bass Pro ones are painted on so even if you ding it, it does not peel the rest of it off. I also notice that the Bill Lewis ones rattle a lot more. I can hear and feel it through the water.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I love the Bill lewis one have always used them and have caught a lot of bass. I even caught 2 at the same time on one. I have never tried the others

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm really just getting into traps more heavily now that we're fishing from a boat. I've had minimal success with both, and this may actually be the only type of bait where I wouldn't opt for the Rapala version. I also picked up a few of the Strike King Red Eye Shads...and I'm actually on my way to Mosquito to get them wet! I'll let ya know if they're worth $5 a pop!

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
To me the Rattlin Rap, Rat-L-Trap and Cotton Cordell Super spots are all the same.

·
Pay-it-foward fisherman
5,251 Posts
I exclusively use Yozuri Rattlin' Vibes..
They are awesome baits. They are loud, cast a mile, and have a pretty wide wobble! But the price isnt very friendly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts