close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bigger baits vs small baits

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by FishJunky, Jun 5, 2007.

1. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

Is it worth going to a bigger bait for LM's? Just curious..

2. gotobatter

gotobatter "Largemouth Lover!"

for me generally using bigger baits weeds out those small LM's that are fun to catch but disrupt the calmness of the water. if you are contantly catching small LM"s and they are breaking the surface when you reel them in then most of the bigger fish are going to move out cause they are spooked. using a bigger baits may give you smaller numbers but bigger #'s

3. I like to use bigger baits as well. You can still catch smaller fish on larger baits.

4. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

For me, it really depends on the place and how the fishing is going that day. If I'm at a place that probably doesn't have HUGE LM Bass, then I'll use a smaller bait. Also, if the bite is tough I'll put on something a little smaller so that I at least catch something.

LM Bass are not intimidated by bigger baits though. They think they're top-dog under that water. I had about a 7" Bass inhale a 6" finesse worm. They really go after stuff no matter what size they are. If their mouth can fit around it somewhere, they'll eat it.

A good example of this happend a couple weekends ago when I was out with my dad. I had been throwing a Finesse Worm all afternoon, and he had been throwing a Bass Stopper weedless worm. He wanted something different and stumbled across my new swim-jigs in one of my boxes. This was a 1/2 oz swim jig, big skirt, and a chunk trailer... it was pretty big all together. His comment was, "Whatever bites this is going to have to be a serious fish." First cast, he hooks up with a fish.... pulls it in and its only an 8" LM Bass.

5. sycamore440

sycamore440 nothing like fishing

I was recently watching bassmasters and on the program they did say that large baits will catch larger fish..they were catching 10 lb bass in florida on that program.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

this weekend, I caught a 9 inch perch on a 7 inch musky bucktail.
    I have also caught 41 inch muskies on 3 inch bass lures.
    Sorry, I am of no help what so ever :eek:

7. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

Thats alright hunter. I caught a 35inch northern pike last weekend on a 4inch senko.

8. woody86

woody86 Fishing #2, Catching #1

Fishing with bigger baits is a good thing for size but some days it depends on the mood of the fish. If it's a cloudy day and the water is merky, you should definitly go with a large bait. If it's a clear, bright day and the water is clear then consider the smaller and more finnesse baits. Then again it all depends on the mood of the bass.

9. I coordinate the size of bait with the time of the year, and the size of the natural bait on which the fishing are feeding. ie., early in the spring I go with something small, late summer through fall I use larger baits. (@ the end of the summer, the baitfish, etc., have grown considerably larger than they were in the spring, thus I use a larger artificial bait) I'd like to hear from others to determine whether this theory holds true.

10. i tried finding baits that would weed through all smaller fish and only catch true hogs. the biggest i went to was an 8in optimum swimbait and i still caught multiple fish under 14in on it, 12-14in worms caught smaller fish than the baits. i do tend to throw big baits quite often for big fish but theres alot more than just the size of the bait. big baits wont weed out small fish, but since they are larger and therefore usually heavier you can use them to cover alot of water looking for big fish. without going into lots o stuff about bigger fish, for bass try to throw a slightly bigger bait but make it very natural, spinnerbaits/ chatterbaits are not natural, you have to think outside the average bass anglers box if you are serious about targeting big bass. big baits will put more bass over 18in in your hads in ohio, there is always some form of forage over 6in long, dont neglect very small lures though, i have caught many more fish 4-6lbs on giant swimbaits but more over 7 on small finesse lures

11. Let the fish tell you. I have seen many times where I couldn't get a bite on a rattle bait and all I did was move up or down one size with the same color, same presentation and in the same area and ended up with a very good day Bass fishing.