Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
AEP Tuber Association
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Bigfoot topwater frog today and was wandering if anyone has had any success with it? Should you fish it slow popping or like a buzz bait?

·
Lucky Fisher, or skilled?
1,887 Posts
I was going to get one just b/c of my Name lol. but was wondering shoudl i just stick with the zoom soft plastic frog s or should i go with it?

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
Frogs are one of my staples of bassin. I usually break one out at dawn or dusk for at least 20 cast or so for some low light topwater action. I like the looks of the Bigfoot frog. It has the paddle feet instead of the little whispy, curly ones that I dont like because they don't generate enough disturbance in the water. Also you have to reel faster with them because they don't get up on plane as fast or well either.

Most everyone uses them as a weedless buzzbait basically. I'm kinda partial to the cheap Yum, Stanley, Manns and Zoom type cheaper frogs in a bag because I could never bring myself to pay $10 for a Spro frog. The Bigfoot frogs look more reasonable at about 5 and a half bucks each. The bag frogs have some pros. You rig the hook yourself so you can skin hook the frog after Texas rigging it and make it totally weedless. I've always had problems with the Spro type frogs with the open hooks catching moss. The bagged frogs are solid instead of hollow so they allow you to cast them much further. On the other hand the hollow frogs can be worked alot slower because they dont sink, at least not nearly as fast. The hollow frog has one huge advantage overall and thats the hookset ratio. With the bag frogs if you actually land 50% of all the bites you get you're doing pretty good, kind of like catfishing. The ratio on the hollow frog with 2 sharp hooks instead of 1 is much, much higher. The only thing is I need proof that I can throw it into slop and not catch any grass. I hate continually cleaning off a lure and will just switch to something that is totally weedless if I have to keep cleaning off the lure.

As mentioned before most use it as a topwater lure but I do have one buddy who insist on swimming them ever so slowly about 3-5 feet below the surface. If you look at it underwater it does look very enticing with its action. Not to mention its more natural for a frog to be swimming underwater than kicking up a storm on the surface announcing itself to all predators in the area.

When you see the fish boil up and take the frog don't set the hook right away or you'll just pull it right out of his mouth. When I see a fish take my frog I lower the tip and gather all the slack and wait till I can actually feel the fish before I lower the boom on him. If its windy or dark or something then I usually count to myself 1-100, 2-1000, 3-1000 and set the hook. I set the hook harder frog fishing than with any other lure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts