Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add another kayak to the fleet. I already have a 12' sit-in kayak and I'm looking for a SOT for larger bodies of water. I'm looking for something to use in Lake Erie(when guys on here get together on the lake) and that can handle ocean/sound fishing on the Outer Banks.

I'm 5'8" and 160lbs, I've been looking at the Ride, Tarpon, Ocean Kayaks, and Jackson Kayaks. But with so many different options I'm not sure what features would work best for large water.

Thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
IMO when looking at the ride, do not go with the 115. My buddy has one and it is a bear compared to my cuda to paddle for any long distance. If you are only going to use the kayak on lake erie, I would not go with one that only has a high seat. The waves can make anyone a little uneasy at times and putting your center of gravity higher off the water does not help. I have never personally paddled a tarpon but I have paddled the Ride, a trident and I have a Jackson Cuda 12. The trident is probably the fastest and lowest to the water. The Cuda is the one that would be between the Ride 115 and the Trident.

But with all that said, you really cannot go wrong with any of those. It all just depends on how far you are paddling and what you plan on doing in the kayak. If you plan on long distances and ocean fishing like you mentioned, dont be afraid to look at a longer kayak in the 13' plus range.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would take a long look at the native slayer 14 or a trident.

With the slayer you have the option of a high and low seat, just no internal storage.

Also the ride 135 its a nice boat. I have the 115 but mainly stay on smaller lakes and rivers.

DC 33

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
I'm looking for something to use in
Lake Erie and that can handle ocean/sound fishing on the Outer Banks.
Can't go wrong with the longer Ride or Tarpon. Outer Banks kayak guides JAM and Rob Alderman use WS products. Tarpon for JAM and Rides for Rob.

You know how I feel about the 'Cuda. It was a great experience crashing through the surf on Hatteras Island this summer. It was just awesome on the Pamlico Sound on glass or in the chop. The 'Cuda (and Ride) have the high low seat option. The 'Cuda also has crazy rod storage in and out of the hull, the Slayer doesn't. I've seen the Slayer, not I'm not crazy about the layout and wouldn't chose it to go through the surf.

If Jackson hadn't have come up with the 'Cuda I would have bought the Tarpon first and then probably picked up a Ride this summer.

I suggest looking hard at the two WS yaks and 'Cuda. Make a list comparing them, what features do they share (seats) what features do they not. WS uses the track system, Jackson has those awesome rod tip covers and rod stagers.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I had the 140 Tarpon up to this spring and sold it after finding out how much better the new Moken is. The Tarpon140 is a great boat for Erie. You want speed little more than stability like the Ride. Reason I didn't like the Tarpon as made my back unbearable after 6hrs in the saddle.

But if I were to do it all over again and strictly for big waters then I seriously look at JK Cuda14 or Tuna or Feelfree Moken 14.

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
Yakphisher, I know they upgraded the seat in the Ride, did they not do the same for the Tarpon?

·
Registered
165 Posts
My lower back is pretty sensitive to the point where I have to provide some support & not sit on my wallet when I drive. That said, I have no complaints about being on my Tarpon 120 for 6+ hours. I'm fine as long as I don't put anything below my seat where my thighs would be resting on it. I have noticed that the less I tense up my legs, the easier the day goes.

After seeing them everywhere on the east coast for Atlantic fishing, I had no reservations jumping on my Tarpons here in Ohio when I had the chance. I've been up to Lake Erie a few times with no issues. No problem handling 4 footers.

With the Tarpon not as wide as the Ride, I would think that it would be easier to paddle in big water but I'm not sure though, never have been on a Ride.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Yakphisher, I know they upgraded the seat in the Ride, did they not do the same for the Tarpon?
Yes they did. Only thing is basically put more holes in seat for ventilations for warm weather and better straps other than that its the same.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I fish out of an ocean kayaks drifter which I think is now called a prowler big game . I have been on grandlake St, mary's when the waves were serious, and never felt in danger. it is also a common boat for the guys that go way out in the ocean. I have drug a #30 blue cat up on it with out a problem. It isn't the fastest boat out there but is rock solid stable
I am a big guy @ 6' and 310lbs at your size you could all most walk around on it
Roy
P.S. I've had it since spring 2005

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Dont over look the malibu kayaks. They make some big water yaks too. Ive took a few 3 to 4 footers in my x13....I got a little wet but it handled the waves fine. I fished the ohio river and rocky fork lake a couple weekends ago ... rocky fork lake is an unlimited horsepower lake at over 2000 acres. I feel very safe in my malibu....im 6' 260lbs for refrence..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Ahh the Malibu's..... Great kayak that don't get much notice but can be found plentyiful in the ocean in Florida tho. They be really in its place if out lake Erie a lot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts