Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever fish Big Walnut at the southern end of Gahanna? I drive past the river every day to and from work and it looks fantastic. I stopped yesterday for a closer look and saw some small rises, probably from BG's. Then, as I'm sitting in my truck looking out over the water for any sign of movement, I see a log floating up stream :confused: . I jump out for a little bit closer look and see a big tail fin. Assuming it is a carp I get a little more curious and watch for a minute as the behemoth materialized into what looks like a muskie! (I've never actually seen one before). It brings it's long (I'm guessing 28-30") body slowly up from the deep and takes something off the top of the water. Then it slowly sinks back down out of sight. It was too much like watching a small alligator:eek:

So, my next questions: is there a good population of muskie in Big Walnut Creek and what in the heck do I do if I catch one? I'm guessing the chance of landing one is pretty slim without a wire leader right, due to the GIANT razor-like teeth? What else is a prevelent species in Big Walnut? TIA.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
been years since i fished that area,but my guess is what you saw was a gar.big walnut is loaded with them through that stretch.

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
I concur, i'd bet it was a gar, they get big in walnut. I grew up in gahanna and spend my childhood on that river, where were you looking at the river from? That part of the nut was great SM fishing years ago, but with columbus taking so much of the flow for drinking water north of morse road, the holes are farther apart and there is alot of carp, gar and gills now. Now there is SM in there, but not as good as downstream, but it sure is a peaceful river.

·
Lucky Fisher, or skilled?
1,887 Posts
it was a gar. they are very hard to catch bc they are so hard to hook. but fun to try.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, you guys are geniuses! After Googling Gar, that is exactly what it was. This was just west of Hamilton Rd. It looked like there were some great riffles there and I was surprised that there was still a fair amount of water in there. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been hitting the Big Walnut near Cherry Bottom and Morse Rd the last few days, Sat, Sun, and Mon.

Sat at dusk me and the boy caught several nice sized crappie in the 10-12 inch range off of jigs w/ red or white twister tails. That was a blast considering the dinks we had been catching around Twin Bridges at Hoover during the spring, with the rare 10 incher, every so often. Caught a hand-sized BG off a rooster tail and a dink crappie off a blue and white tube. I was basically throwing anything i had on me. We had a good time.

Went back early Sunday morning around 7 am, and got into more crappie. I also threw a stickbait and got a 11.5 inch smallmouth, my first decent smallie ever, since I am basically a creek/river hack. Man he fought hard.

After a lull in the action I switched over to a jig with a pearly white shad with a twister tail and I thought I had snagged it on one of the many branches and logs that litter the bottom of the creek, but it started to sort of move off in the opposite direction. Kept up with the retrieval and sure enough, meet Mr. Saugeye. He went 17 inches.

Went back Monday at dusk. The temperature was still pretty up there. The water had a film on it, as well as other natural surface debris. Not one bite only action I got was a gar that followed my stickbait to the bank and broke off his sortie, when he saw me. He had to have been in that 15-20 inch range.

I won't lie for a split second the gar made me jump back then I realized what he was and I remembered the other posts and thought there is one of them prehistoric s.o.b.'s. Glad I didn't have to fool with him. You have to respect his design, probably hasn't changed much in thousands of years. He was fast and all about business.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was SHOCKED by the size of the Gar in the small Gahanna park pond of Morse...shocked. One must have gone 3-4 feet, the other not far behind.

·
Loving Life
1,323 Posts
I grew up fishing Big Walnut between Refugee Rd and Hamilton Rd. I swear I have seen gar in there as long as picnic tables (5 to 6 feet in length) sunning themselves out there.

It's been years since I've been back that way, but I imagine not much has changed. We would basically just wade the creek throwing rooster tails and small crank baits. Would catch alot of sun fish, rock bass and the occasional smallie. Nothing really ever had much size however.

There are a couple ponds near Big Walnut in that strecth that hold some awsome Bass and Crappie. On the south side of Refugee Rd there is apartment complexes and behind them there is a large (5 to 7 acre) pond that nearly over flows into Big Walnut. In the early Spring you can walk along the edges and see spawning large mouths in the 6 to 8lb range, and I'm talking lots of them. A buddy of mine in High School pulled out a 9lb 3oz pig his parents got mounted for him, from there.

Also on the North side of refugee behind those apartments is another now public pond (roughly same size as the other) that had several 4 to 6 pound bass in it. Also it wasn't uncommon to get into the slab crappie either. 14 to 16" was common.

It's sad to see how that side of town has become in the recent years. Have alot of good memories walking the banks of the 'Nut in that area.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
fish big walnut all the time myself, from morse road all the way down to where rocky fork creek enters and a little beyond. the farther downstream you get the better bass fishing, but utard, if you want to go for those gar hit that area around academy park (cherry bottom road), and if ya have any questions refer to an earlier post about big walnut gar where everyone was kind enough to share their own tactics, or pm me, i'm headed out this week for some gar myself

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
fratfisk that is an awesome piece of river, know the river like no other there. Some of best fish is at Friendship park where rocky fork dumps in, its clear as gin(not as good tasting) and nut is stained to muddy, makes a nice ambush site, plus it adds to the flow downstream, different river past it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
that is an awesome spot, i fish the rocky fork a lot, farther upstream than friendship park and it is an amazing creek. really have to go deep into it away from roads to get at the smallies though, but yea i've had a lot of success there at friendship park and downstream from there. Great place for a fly rod too, they love coming up off that cut bank across the way to hit little poppers. I'm headed out this afternoon to try and get some of those mighty big walnut gar farther upstream. should be a good one seeing as it's warm and sunny.

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
Be hard fishing the nut today, its down from 747 cfs from 11pm last night, now its 312cfs and chocolate milk, maybe by Thursday it will be allot better close to 100-170 cfs where I like it. Now is it SM hate rising waters or falling, I think its both but falling worse?

·
SMB and Saugeyes.
175 Posts
Are the gar still hitting there? I've got some time on my hands and I'm looking to do something different this weekend. I'll take smallies or white bass too if they're still around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts