Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm limited to fishing the Big Walnut in the Gahanna area as my wife is due any day now and I don't want to stray far from home. Went out last Sunday and caught a bunch of rock bass and bluegill and a few smallmouth under 12 inches..I waded all around Woodside Green Park, it's just not that good fishing IMO..or is it and I'm just using the wrong lures? I don't need your honey holes just wondering if there were any stretches close to Gahanna that may produce better than Woodside Green. Or what's the hot lure for the Big Walnut. Sorry if I'm asking for too much info I just want a good fishing outing before the baby comes. Thanks!

Matt

·
Just practicing my cast
5,407 Posts
Dre, big Walnut creek is killer fishing i've fished it all my life from main st to 33 and my go to lure was and still is a Mepp's blackflury. give it a try. ;)

·
Registered
771 Posts
ive never fished it, but when i was eating at old bag of nails, i saw several 15-18" smallies nailing baitfish in the shallows. they're definitely in there.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It is better to float down the creek than to hit one hole and expect to pull out a nice fish. The average sizes of smallmouth that I have pulled out is around the 8-12" but when you pass a hole, don't disturb it and get that perfect cast, you do run into the 14-16'' fish with huge shoulders. I've gotten into some decent saugeyes,15"-16" white bass and an 18" largemouth that was almost as big around as it was long. Trophies aren't abundant but I have no doubt my biggest has yet to be caught out of there. I do think they get stunted in the smaller holes down there for sure but there are some big ones to be had.

·
Kayak Fishing's Most Wanted
944 Posts
yeah, you need a kayak to be able to hit that creek good.

·
192 Posts
I like going out right before dark and throwing a jitterbug along rock shorelines and weed edges. I watched a guy pull the biggest smallie I've ever seen from big walnut on a Carolina rigged creature bait, it was a trophy for sure. I asked him what he was going to do with it and I suggested he should snap a picture and let it go but he proceeded to leave with the fish. As he was taking the long way out down a rocky bank we can just say they both went swimming lol. That monster is still swimming in there somewhere.

·
The Glove
221 Posts
I have made the trip to Woodside Green when the Scioto or Olentangy are not fishable. Have had better luck there than below Hoover. Caught a nice 16" smallie last October on a pearl fluke.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking of going and trying around Friendship Park where it looks like another small creek flows into The Big Walnut or by Pizzaro Park by that golf course. Anyone fish these areas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've waded from friendship park all the way to the airport. Mainly caught rock bass but there are some smallies in there, mostly tiny ones.

·
Registered
771 Posts
i have fished the park behind the golf course at the airport...got skunked-not even a bite. but all the structure and holes looked right...there has to be something in there. i didnt wade though...just fished the spots accessible in the parking lot.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked it out when I took my dog to the dog park. Didn't look all that deep but definitely saw some structure..worth checking out with a pole

i have fished the park behind the golf course at the airport...got skunked-not even a bite. but all the structure and holes looked right...there has to be something in there. i didnt wade though...just fished the spots accessible in the parking lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts