close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

big walnut gar

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fratfish, May 31, 2007.

1. i've seen some posts on here about gar fishing and tried it out again for the first time in 5 years today. a friend and i hit big walnut and killed em'. each landed 3 and each missed another 3. all fish were 30+ inches. i encourage everyone to give it a try, a great time, with easy sight fishing.

2. 01mercLS

01mercLS It's Fishing not catching

what body of water is this, and what are you using as bait, i migh give it a shot.

3. where about on walnut? i fish the stretch around refugee road but never got one in the river. but have caught em in a qaury near by.......toothy sobs and not a bad fight to boot

4. You can catch them gar on rope, reel in the rope on top of the water. There going to be real active on top of the water right now because they are breeding right now which makes them easier to catch.

5. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

I see these every time i wade. i have got one but have not fished for them. they are the one fish in ohio that i want to catch, MUST catch this summer and will. I will use the rope lure. but what did ya get yours on. and yes it is very easy sight fishing.

6. awfdahuk

awfdahuk member

i live near same area never tried fishing tho..what type of species of fish are in big walnut near noe bixby and refugee rd's?

7. awfdahuk

awfdahuk member

what kind of fish are in big walnut near refugee rds

8. saugeyeslayer

saugeyeslayer The tug is the drug

i dont know what people catch in holes around there, but i would venture to say there are ample amounts of the following: Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth/ kentucky spotted bass,Rock Bass, Black crappie, white crappie,all sorts of hybrid sunfish(green, longear, bluegill) freshwater Drum (sheepshead) plenty of carp/ suckers and other rough fish(including gar),channel catfish,bullheads, maybe a shovelhead catfish, most likely saugeye and whitebass from Hoover resivior/scioto,alum creek...

That is very broad, yet somewhat limited. you never really know. best of luck. when it comes to big walnut, look for swifter currents, and deep water stretches/ pools. also find wood and structure such as large boulders. just some personal preferances. another tip= small(ish) lures (eg. Rooster tail, Twister tail jig, small crank baits, minnow imitating stick baits.)

9. i was fishing in Gahanna, near Academy Park on Cherry Bottom Road. We catch them on minnows into which we insert a small piece of balsam wood bobber so that they stay on the surface. Once we sight the fish we just cast out past it and slowly pull it by the fish, they aren't much for diving for bait we found out. Then we let them run and eventually attempt to set the hook in those very bony jaws. great fun for an hours worth of fishing, and def more than worth the little effort it takes. the 30 + inchers we caught weren't the biggest we saw either, so there are some monsters in there. back out tomm to try and get them.

10. I see these a lot where I fish in NE Ohio, and have seen them when I lived in Texas. I have actually been avoiding trying to catch them.... Why would I want to catch them? Are they good fighters? Personally I don't want to get a finger chewed on?

11. Hey Bubba, you fish the Darby alot so if you want to get into a mess of them hit up Battelle-Darby park and fish by the railroad bridge. Just take a float and a shiner or a piece of cut bait. Let them run for a little bit and set the hook for all its worth. I have caught tons of gar in Ohio and personally aren't fond of them. They can ruin a night of catfishing in a hurry. They are a decent fight if you can hook them though. The initial run is a screamer and then they will tail-walk a few times during the fight.

Jake

12. I was out on big darby once and saw them right on the surface in a big school. They wouldn't hit anything so I drug a crankbait literally inches in front of their mouths and then they would snap at it, but thye would never stay hooked for some reason. My buddy ended up getting one up to the boat and we almost had it on but he shook off. Man do those things fight though.

13. I fish for gar because it's just another fun fish to go for. something a little different than usual, and also something that puts up a great fight if you can set the hook. They are nasty, and not the prettiest things, but there is just something cool about catching a fish that was around when the dinosaurs were.

14. I have got them in my cast net before on accident. Alot of times they will attack the school of emerald shiners or shad on the Ohio River. You wanna talk about a mess. They will close that boney snout in your net and then start spinning. You are in for a fustrating time if you ever get one in your cast net thats for sure.

Jake

15. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

i like throwing F9-F13 floating rapalas orange or chart.
    cast by them and dimple the bait so it doesnt move to far away from them.
    they have very narrow cone of vision so you have to stay close.

one or more of the hooks should penetrate when you get the right angle on them. use a long/stout rod but keep your drag sort of loose.

hold on

16. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Alligator Gar in Florida are pest, they get around 100 pounds, look like a gator with no feet and nasty. We speck(crappie) fish down there and in a boat put out over 6 poles each, 12 for 2(legal) with minnies, and if a a gar shows up, he will take all 12 hooks and you have no shot of reeling him in, lost alot of setup and a few poles to them monsters. At one point the record gar in OH came from big walnut.

17. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

If you guys want gar, THE premiere spot for them in Central Ohio is indeed below Greenlawn dam. End of discussion. Don't believe me? Go check it out:D .

18. There was an article in In-Fisherman a month or two about them. "Underappreciated species" or something like that was what they called them. I've seen them in Alum Creek too...

chip

19. Here it is, from the March 2007 issue:

"Gift Of The Gar -- Tangling With Tough Longnose"

I don't think it's available online, though...

20. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

anyone have this issue that wouldnt mind faxing this article to me??

thanks