Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill start by saying hows it goin everyone im new to OGF. But to the matter at hand so i've been fishing different spots on the big walnut and ive caught LMB, ,RockBass,Green sunfish and the first white crappie ive seen in there yesterday, have seen carp and the odd small channel cat too was wondering if anyones ever seen many smallies or anything else in it. Not askin anyone to give up any spots or anything just curious as to what all i can expect

·
Registered
68 Posts
The walnut is full of smallies. It's amazing to me that you've managed to land all those other species and haven't come across any. Also, depending on what stretch you are in, the creek is abundant with saugeye and long nose gar

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
It sounds like you have made a good sampling so far. Every creek in Central Ohio is a good smallmouth creek. Most of them also have some saugeye in them. On rare occasions, you may catch a member of the pike family. You never know when a catfish might bight anything you put out there. On rare occasions, a huge carp might eat any offering, natural or artificial.

Just keep searching and casting. I have been doing this for 40 years, and I try to fish new water every year. Use that Google Satellite view!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I've had some nice drum while smallie fishing BW.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha oh i use google satellite like a fiend, it's the only reason ive found some of these spots. But yeah im surprised i havent stumbled on any smallies yet. ive heard about a white bass run in the spring as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ftw, youre talking about the big walnut right? i had no idea there would be saugeye and gar in there.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The walnut is loaded with saugeye and monster gar. Some decent smallies and largemouth. I've never heard pike in there. White crappie should be no surprise because hoover is loaded with slabs. Big walnut will also have blue catfish and channels. If its in hoover its in the walnut.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just watch out naming creeks when you post a report. I did it for years and never had a problem but there are a few guys on here (with very good reason) protecting smaller creeks from being abused by dummies who get information here but contribute nothing.

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,166 Posts
Just watch out naming creeks when you post a report. I did it for years and never had a problem but there are a few guys on here (with very good reason) protecting smaller creeks from being abused by dummies who get information here but contribute nothing.
Politely stated and likely more effective than the typical browbeating. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kat you're talkin below the dam correct? The local stretch i hit is up above it somewhere. and good point on not naming creeks there are some people out there that seem to love to ruin it for everyone else, it's pretty sad seeing some of these places getting ruined.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel a board fight comin' theres even rain and lightning (finally), to set the atmosphere of impending doom haha.

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
You're a good sport, Chris!! :D

You should come along Saturday. It's gonna be a 1 1/2 hour drive, 11 mile kayak paddle, but if you want to get into some GOOD fall fishing...
We get together every Friday night at Other Dave's to plan the trips for the weekend. Swing over, have a beer, feel everyone out, dip your toe in a bit, and then come with on Saturday.
I guarantee a good time!

·
Registered
405 Posts
kat you're talkin below the dam correct? The local stretch i hit is up above it somewhere. and good point on not naming creeks there are some people out there that seem to love to ruin it for everyone else, it's pretty sad seeing some of these places getting ruined.
Don't matter. Either. The species I mentioned will be in there. Especially gar. They like to go up those creeks. As for naming creeks I see no problem with it as long as your not too specific. Then again the wine is the reason I'm hesitant to post much at all.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,166 Posts
You're a good sport, Chris!! :D

You should come along Saturday. It's gonna be a 1 1/2 hour drive, 11 mile kayak paddle, but if you want to get into some GOOD fall fishing...
We get together every Friday night at Other Dave's to plan the trips for the weekend. Swing over, have a beer, feel everyone out, dip your toe in a bit, and then come with on Saturday.
I guarantee a good time!
Once again we have plans; we're driving down to Cinci for the game on Sunday. Go Pats!!! (and then he ducks for cover).

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
haha right on kat well thanks for the info man ill see if i can get into some gar when i head out in a few.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts