Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes...both, and it really depends on where you are at. I've run into (as it have seen, several times) musky at a particular place in BWC. BWC has Alum and Blacklick running into it, too, but I've also fished much closer to the Scioto, so BWC may be one of the more diverse places I've ever fished.

I'm told that some bigger Wipers will come up BWC from the Scioto. At any rate, the Nut is easily my favorite place to fish...though it's getting harder to access in my area with more and more no trespassing signs going up and parks being closed.

·
Riley
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes...both, and it really depends on where you are at. I've run into (as it have seen, several times) musky at a particular place in BWC. BWC has Alum and Blacklick running into it, too, but I've also fished much closer to the Scioto, so BWC may be one of the more diverse places I've ever fished.

I'm told that some bigger Wipers will come up BWC from the Scioto. At any rate, the Nut is easily my favorite place to fish...though it's getting harder to access in my area with more and more no trespassing signs going up and parks being closed.
Interesting, iv'e fished the nut for 10+ years, mostly north of 270 and ive never once seen a wiper pulled out of the water.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Interesting, iv'e fished the nut for 10+ years, mostly north of 270 and ive never once seen a wiper pulled out of the water.
I've caught one--very small--but the only reason I bring it up was because of a missed fish I had last year after dark very far south, maybe 5 miles from Scioto give or take. Thing hit like a freight train, took off down stream, and came unbuttoned within 5 seconds or so. Very powerful. Somebody responded and asked where I was and mentioned that the closer you get to the Scioto, the more you'll find them.

I've had days where I don't really know what I've got until I get it to the surface (though I'm starting to discern how different fish take up), but I catch SMB the most by a fairly substantial margin, then saugeye/sauger, and on down from there--wiper, white bass, rock bass, gar, drum, and a couple others. Last year I did catch more saugeye in a hole that is usually exclusively smallmouth for me, so it changes a lot.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I like fishing Big Walnut and mainly target smallmouth. Even though it’s an excellent fishery you can get away from the crowds if your willing to hike a little. I’ve caught my best fish south of Three Creeks Park but have also caught good fish north of the park.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I like fishing Big Walnut and mainly target smallmouth. Even though it’s an excellent fishery you can get away from the crowds if your willing to hike a little. I’ve caught my best fish south of Three Creeks Park but have also caught good fish north of the park.
What stinks, though, is the parking for our best spots--including the one I showed you a couple years ago--is posted "no trespassing" and where you've caught a super huge one now has a fence around it. I had to get creative on Saturday, but you're right...hiking is the solution for the Nut for the most part.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah I saw where the super huge one spot was fenced off don’t know what’s going on there. Maybe they’re paving the lot we’ll see. Another spot of mine the city has started surveying and marking for a bike/jogging/walking path. This area I almost never see anyone but that may change in the not so distant future.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah I saw where the super huge one spot was fenced off don’t know what’s going on there. Maybe they’re paving the lot we’ll see. Another spot of mine the city has started surveying and marking for a bike/jogging/walking path. This area I almost never see anyone but that may change in the not so distant future.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The fenced off area seems to be something with the highway department, I'm not sure. I also think because they have homeless folks there, they're trying to limit it. I suspect I can still go there, but will be dropped off. A couple weeks ago, they did find a body, so who knows?

I'm told they'll be putting in a new kayak launch nearby, so we'll see how this helps/hurts us. I like going to 3 Creeks, too, since hardly anybody makes the effort to get to the better spots (though it is admittedly a pain).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts